what do I do with a new PC?

bemuzed 19:45 21 Dec 06

Hi. I just took delivery of a Dell laptop with Windows Media Edition loaded. Before I start loading my software etc is there anything you would recommend I did first? BTW it comes with Orange Broadband which I will never use and am worried it will conflict with my other broadband - should I remove it and how?

Diodorus Siculus 19:49 21 Dec 06

Install an anti-virus program and firewall

Orange will not be installed I believe; it will be there ready for you to set up should you so wish.

Create the restore disks if that is necessary.

Otherwise, have fun!

bemuzed 19:49 21 Dec 06

nice and easy then.

bemuzed 19:50 21 Dec 06

doesn't windows have a firewall or should I use another one?

Technotiger 19:55 21 Dec 06

Hi, coming from Dell it should already have enough software installed making it ready for you to start using straight away. You should be able to setup your normal broadband, with the Orange BB disabled.

VoG II 19:58 21 Dec 06

Windows firewall is one way only (inbound). Zone Alarm is better and free click here

bemuzed 20:02 21 Dec 06

thanks for the advice

wjrt 20:05 21 Dec 06

condition the battery as well. charge fully and run down to about 30% 3 times.fully charging after each run down. then if you are going to run on mains disconnect the battery and check it out monthly and recharge from the 30% level

Jackcoms 20:09 21 Dec 06

Coming from Dell it will also be pre-loaded with a lot of software which you'll never use (or need).

Un-install it.

Diodorus Siculus 20:14 21 Dec 06

Good advice from Jackoms re removing anything on it you don't want.

Also worth getting some disk imaging software like Acronis True Image and creating images of the hard drive as you go along.

Belatucadrus 20:35 21 Dec 06

Check the system to ensure it's exactly what you ordered.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…