What do I do with Event viewer?

exdragon 18:32 22 Aug 13

Hi - following on from Graphicool1's slow start up post, I thought I'd have a look at Event viewer as I too have a problem.

Fine - I've found it, but what do I do now? Under Administrative Events, there are 5,206 events from 21 April up until today - a mixture of Errors and Warnings.

I haven't a clue what they mean, or if I'm supposed to do anything about them - can anyone translate, please? For example, the Source includes Kernel Event Tracing (Errors and Warnings), WMI, HAL and SideBySide, to name but a few.

c4rm0 18:48 22 Aug 13

Pretty much everything that occurs on your machine is written to your event logs eg Services starting/stopping, Application Alerts/hangs , System crashes , Authentication/log on events ,

You cant really teach anyone how to read the event logs there is a art to it i have spend years looking at event logs on Servers/PC you need to know what your looking for. For example lets say you cant get a IP address from a DHCP server from your event logs i could diagnose the issue and find the issue for example the DHCP Client service had crashed/Stopped.

but to keep it simply

Application logs - Any events related to Applications you have installed on your machine eg Antivirus , MS office

System - System related events

Security - Authentication / auditing events

john bunyan 19:16 22 Aug 13

A bit like reading a medical book and imagining you have a terminal illness. You will find a lot of red warnings, most of which have no effect. I sometime Google a problem and try to solve it, but on the whole forget it. Those false Microsoft cold callers rely on the red warnings to try to get info and money from you. (They phone and tell you a story that they have detected a problem, then ask you to look at eventviewer.)

exdragon 20:10 22 Aug 13

So it's best if I just ignore it and pretend I never looked in the first place?

northumbria61 20:27 22 Aug 13

So it's best if I just ignore it and pretend I never looked in the first place?

Yes, and you will probably sleep better!

Ian in Northampton 20:28 22 Aug 13

exdragon: sounds like a plan... :-) I'm really not sure it can tell you anything that you could action, unless you were a very, very sophisticated IT tech. Which I'm not...

exdragon 22:05 22 Aug 13

Goodnight!

Batch 08:15 23 Aug 13

Windows is surprisingly robust and will recover from many many issues, even those reported as Error or even Critical in the event logs. Bottom line is if your PC does what you want it to, events are probably best left alone unless you really know what you are doing.

michaelw 09:14 23 Aug 13

I've never quite understood why MS haven't made the understanding of event errors to be more user friendly, but I suppose those that are clever enough don't want us plebs to have it too easy.

Secret-Squirrel 09:38 23 Aug 13

"I thought I'd have a look at Event viewer as I too have a problem."

If you tell me what the problem is exactly then I can tell you whether Event Viewer is a good place to look for clues or not.

john bunyan 10:06 23 Aug 13

Having said "Ignore warnings", it does no harm to occasionally run sfc /scanow and chkdsk. Some eventvwr warnings refer to these.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017