What do i do?

I-W 11:50 23 Feb 04

Iv got a pc that i want to sell, Its an old pc which runs windows 98. before i sell it i want delete everything on there except the operating system. how can do this and would delete any personal info that maybe on there, so the buyer could not access the when bought. Any help would be great. Thankyou.

Aspman 12:05 23 Feb 04

If you have all the appropriate disks a reformat would be your best option.

Belatucadrus 12:31 23 Feb 04

click here for notes on how to do a clean install of W98

I-W 16:07 23 Feb 04

I have all the disk. how would i go abut reformting?

I-W 16:15 23 Feb 04

my mistake iv not got the disk for 98. is there another way i can reformat without it?

ventanas 16:40 23 Feb 04

What happened to the disc? If you sell this machine with a copy of Win98 installed you should really also hand over the cd that Windows was installed from, as well as the licence agreement. Without these it is not a legal version of Windows.

The only certain way to delete all your personal information is to reformat, but if you do this you will need to buy a new copy of Win98 to put the OS back if you do not have the original disc.

I-W 16:52 23 Feb 04

My girlfriend is what happened. I wasnt around when she bought the computer 5 years ago and over time she lost it. Well thats put a spanner in the works. Thanks for you help one and all.

ventanas 17:01 23 Feb 04

Not necessarily. You could still go through it with a "fine tooth comb" a clean it up as much as possible.

I can't see you having any problem selling it without the cd, as long as you trust whoever buys it not to make a fuss. I can't see Microsoft knocking on your door anyway.

I was just warning you about the possible risk.

I-W 20:56 23 Feb 04

Would that be going thru all my files and folders manuly and taking off all thats not to do with windows98. or is threr another way?

arricarry 21:08 23 Feb 04

Try e-bay , you should be able to pick up a win98 or SE disc. Might not be an original though, but would fix your problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…