What to do to fix computer (lots of help wanted!)

shaun walker 18:25 22 Apr 08

right i've got an orbit computer that is 3 years old. Spec as follows:
512mb RAM
3.2Ghz processor i think :S
Nvidia Geforce Graphics card
120GB hard drive
8x Dvd Rw
If you think you need to know anything else then please ask but basically my major problem is that I'm turning my computer on, the light is coming on but the fan doesn't turn on, the processor doesn't start up, nothing happens. Only the light turns on. The lights are on but no one's at home kinda thing.

I checked other topics with the same problem and have taken out the battery on my motherboard to no avail. I know that this probably means I need a new motherboard or power unit but what my I really want to know is what's a decent motherboard to buy as I'm thinking I may as well upgrade while I'm at it?

I will be grateful for all help,
Shaun

sharpamat 18:36 22 Apr 08

Id try a new PSU the battery will not alter this, whilst you say the light is coming on which light is it power or drive busy light.

Make sure you get the correct PSU ( for ease of fitting ) with the exception of the power rating which you can get a higher output

You will find that the PSU now has many more cables so only use those needed for your system. just make sure those you dont use are secure and wont cause problems inside

shaun walker 18:39 22 Apr 08

thanks, how do I know the right cpu?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:39 22 Apr 08

Try a substitute PSU first.

sharpamat 18:19 23 Apr 08

If you can borrow one try that, if not go to a local computer shop in preferance to the large ones like PC world tell them what you have cost around £30 to £40

If you can take the details off of your old one ( I would not disconnect it as you will need to rember which connector went where.

orbit is a name I dont know so even if you take the unit they shouldnt chage much for fitting its a simple job takes 15 Mins

Migwell 00:27 24 Apr 08

is this orbit in gateshead?

shaun walker 16:20 24 Apr 08

as a matter of fact it is.

i didnt actually buy the computer, my cousin did but from what he's said its not the most reputable place in the world

jakimo 16:34 24 Apr 08

sharpamat & fruitbat suggested you try a different PSU ,you replied about changing the CPU, a different item entirely.

If you start buying & changing hardware until you find the faulty part you could end up spending a small fortune before getting it right,ans as you don't seem to be conversant with the working of a PC it would be cheaper & faster to let a local dealer sort the problem,as he will have all replacement parts to hand.

On the other hand as the PC is 3 years old it is worth considering replacing it with an up to date budget model

shaun walker 16:45 24 Apr 08

my bad about CPU and PSU, i did realise they were different however i don't know much about fitting either.

and i dont want to be buying a completely new model as i have an up to date laptop that i use, it was more going to be a side project for me to build a pc to be honest.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:02 24 Apr 08

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp.
3 The correct connections for your equipment

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

3. Correct connections
Some boards have 20 pin connectors others 24 pin
There is often a 4 pin plug required to power Intel CPUs
Molex D plugs for IDE HDD and CD/DVD drives
SATA power connections for latest HDDs and DVD drives.

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

milly54 19:21 24 Apr 08

I had a similar sounding problem on an HP PC a while ago - it had me foxed for a time - changing PSU's etc. to no avail.

Eventually I discovered the front panel power- button was stuck on, preventing anything but the power light to come on when the rocker-switch at the back was turned off/on.

The front power button should provide a momentary closure, not a permanent one.

The same is possible if you have a reset button.

Hope this helpful...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…