What do files like 59e44aa71e6fe26783f2 mean?

Bertie B 13:35 25 Mar 09

I notice that on several of my USB Drives which I use for backup there are files like the above in the root directory and when you try to open them you get "Access Denied"!

In fact there is also one on the C drive of my desktop PC.

Has anyone any idea what they might be?

I'm always suspicious when your PC is churning away - the CPU meter says 50-60% but when you look in task manager no applications or apparently associated processes appear to be runnign!

gazzaho 14:34 25 Mar 09

To be honest I'm not so sure, I always associated them with Windows updates myself but there are only folders, not files with the type of alpha numeric names you describe on my system, I only have one at the moment. As far as I can determine they are used when updating the system and then they get deleted, problem is sometimes they don't for some reason.

crosstrainer 15:05 25 Mar 09

These could be related to a USB device such as a camera, or external hdd that you may connect from time to time.

Can you view them? and what is the name of the folder they reside in?

Bertie B 15:09 25 Mar 09

Thanks for the help, guys.

To correct my initial post - they are folders not files - they appear in the root directory and as I say cannot be accessed - "Acees denied"!

crosstrainer 15:13 25 Mar 09

Where in the folder tree do they appear?

Bertie B 15:39 25 Mar 09

interesting - I was trying to access the folders from my laptop via the network. Now that I've tried from the Desktop PC on which one of the files exists - after taking ownwership of the file I have opened it and found a folders named amd64 & i386. amd64 contains folders:-
filterpipelineprintprc.dll
mxspsdrv
mxspssinc.ppd
xpssvcs.dll
msxpsdrv
msxpssinc.gpd
mxdwdrv.dll

Can't open the i386 folder.

The top folder comprising the long numbers appears at the head of folder tree on each drive.

crosstrainer 16:57 25 Mar 09

Care required...

The i386 folder should be left alone. It contains all your Windows system dribers.

Open task manager (right click the taskbar)

Look for running services and post back.

Bertie B 18:03 25 Mar 09

It gets ever more interesting because there is a similar file on one of my USB external drives - another long string of characters for the folder name but in it are again folders named amd64 & i386. The difference here however is that I am denied the action of taking ownership of either file!
On another External USB drive there are three similar long string named folders - in one is a folder named update file folder. In another are folders which relate to MS Malicious Software Removal and in the third is a text doc - again access denied.

The only conclusion I can come to is that these folders are to do with various aspects of windows but why they are scattered over different drives as opposed to on the C:\ drive under windows escapes me.

There's a long list of about 100 services - some running some stopped. Whether there are any suspicious ones - difficult to tell without knowing what to look for!

crosstrainer 20:39 25 Mar 09

Open control panel

Device manager

Scroll down until you see the usb port entries

Right click

Choose remove

Shut down

Reboot (windows will re-install the drivers (make sure no devices are connected to any port.

Then we can deal with the files.

Pamy 22:11 25 Mar 09

Bertie B, type them into google

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…