What to do with dead old laptop

johnincrete 22 Oct 13

My ancient Dell laptop is dead: I am told that it is the screen and that to replace it would cost too much. It has done about 10 years of very useful service. So, is there anything in the laptop that is worth salvaging before I put it in a bin? For example, could I use the hard drive as an external drive for backups etc? I replaced the memory only a few months ago: would the memory chips be useful for anything else? There is nothing personal on the hard drive just a few old documents and a Powerpoint presentation for a Christmas Carol concert and I have the original on me desktop. It does have a Dell-installed copy of XP (i.e. no dosk) and I am having some problems with my new laptop (Windows 7): is there any way to install XP from the old computer to my new one? Or should I just bin it?

HondaMan 22 Oct 13

1) You could remove the HDD, put it in a caddy and use it for backup 2) You could experiment and replace the screen yourself. Even if you mess it up, option 1 would still be available 3) Use it as a doorstop

spuds 22 Oct 13

If you have a local recycling charity nearby, then perhaps consider donating it to them for possible third world use?.

john bunyan 22 Oct 13

You could sell it for parts on e bay (having thoroughly wiped or removed the HD. My grand daughter, last year, sat on an opened lap top that she accidentally had under a duvet (don't ask!) and broke the screen and hinges. I managed to get an identical model sold for parts on e bay and got the screen and hinges sorted out far more cheaply than a new laptop.

john bunyan 22 Oct 13

PS you could use the drive wiper (3 passes) facility on CCleaner to wipe the drive , having deleted your files.

bumpkin 22 Oct 13

You can use the "Product Key" to put XP on another PC once you have obtained a disk, a borrowed one or a copy will do.

onthelimit1 22 Oct 13

Why would you want to go from w7 back to XP? It's normally a very stable and fast OS.

finerty 22 Oct 13

how precious is the info on the HD, if its valuable andddy private salvage it and use as external drive, using a caddy

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 24 Oct 13

Connect it to your TV and turn the TV into a smart TV.

woodchip 24 Oct 13

IF you put the drive in a Caddy you should be able to dual boot it if you set the BIOS to look for other usb boot drives. You will need to run the Dual Boot Manager in 7

rdave13 25 Oct 13

10 Year old HDD useless. Ram similar. Spuds idea good to give to charity. They might get a couple of years more. Otherwise destroy the hard drive and put the carcase in a recycle outlet.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Wacom Cintiq 27QHD review

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message