//some 3rd party need geo

What do the `beeps` mean?

Eamonncw 12:31 09 Oct 04

My friends computer won`t boot up and gives
two beeps shortly after switching on. What do these beeps mean? I know 1 beep means all is ok, but beyond that ..........

Bapou 12:42 09 Oct 04

click here for some definitions.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:47 09 Oct 04

2 Beeps parity fault in memory module

If 2 sticks of memory fitted then:-
Remove 1 stick of memory at a time and retry

Eamonncw 12:52 09 Oct 04

Bapou, thanks, but it doesn`t help. It seems
to be for another type of computer. My mate`s is a Dell Optiflex G1.

JoeC 12:56 09 Oct 04
  Eamonncw 12:57 09 Oct 04

Fruit Bat /\o/\, Thanks to you too. I have already
removed two memory sticks, after the first attempt ed boot up and replaced them with a larger
one. (2 x 32MHz out 1 x 128 in) and it still won`t work.

JoeC 12:58 09 Oct 04
  woodchip 13:43 09 Oct 04

One beep is to say that 5 volts power is good and the computer should start. One long and Two very short, "can sound like one" is the graphics card that as gone AWOL. More beeps would more likely be Memory fault.

Molded 13:44 09 Oct 04

Beeps to a small extent are related to the type of bios your PC is running - AMI/Award/Phoenix.

You'll see which on the boot-up screen.

When you have the bios type goto click here

Eamonncw 14:33 09 Oct 04

ALL YOU GUYS thanks for your help. Problem`s not resolved. Sorry I`ve been away so long, I`ve been to my mates house. Firstly, there`s no Errorcode posted, just an apologetic message ending by giving me some options to reboot.ie try Safe Mode, or Safe mode with networking, or Safe Mode with Command Prompt, or Last known good config or Start Windows normally. at the bottom of the screen is a statement that the computer will start up in so many(reducing) seconds. If I select eg Safe Mode this message disappears.
JoeC, on your second suggested link I noticed a pathway to Dell. I think I`ll give it a try, but it`s getting too technical for us. Heard of the blind leading the blind? thats us.All your help appreciated and printed out for future use. Ta lads.

Eamonncw 19:10 10 Oct 04

Problem has been resolved, it turned out to be
a CPU problem. Thanks for all the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…