what to do after hanging shutdown

aka51 15:25 26 Jan 05

the only way i had to put the pc out of it,s misery when hanging up with blue screen during shutdown was to switch off at the mains.what can i do after restart to check operating system, xp, is ok.(shutdown problem found and fixed).

Sethhaniel 16:06 26 Jan 05

try to switch off by pushing in the powerswitch on the front of PC and then hold it for a few seconds - which should then enable the pc to power down -
Check on My Computer - right click - select Manage -System tools - Event Viewer - then check under 'application' & 'System' to see if anything causing fault in there -
Well thats a start ;)

ACOLYTE 16:24 26 Jan 05

You could if you have one press the reset switch usually its under the power button.

aka51 16:31 26 Jan 05

done that thanks....seem to remember in the day,s of windows 95/98 being told never switch of at mains windows will be corrupted beyond repair etc.thought just occured that i might have damaged xp.

stlucia 16:38 26 Jan 05

In my experience, after shutting off at the mains switch there's been no damage to Win XP Home Edition. But Scandisk, if it doesn't initiate automatically when you boot up again, is always a good idea.

aka51 17:46 26 Jan 05

cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…