what is DMA ??

thisisnighthawk 15:46 16 Feb 04

hi, could someone explain the above we are having trouble with a creative device, it says "enable DMA device" thanks

spikeychris 15:49 16 Feb 04
  temp003 15:50 16 Feb 04

Direct memory access, allows direct data transfer between certain devices (such as hard disks and CDROMs) and your RAM in certain circumstances without going through the CPU, which makes things work a little faster.

What is the problem you're having, and what is the device?

temp003 15:54 16 Feb 04

G'afternoon, spikeychris. I see you can still find the time to help on the forum, in between editing our photos and pasting them on your website.

thisisnighthawk 15:58 16 Feb 04

we have got a creative sound blaster MP3, and no way can we get it to work, we have plugged a line in to the device and the only connection to the PC is a USB lead, and we are stuck :-((

thanks

temp003 16:13 16 Feb 04

Is it the external sound card? Not familiar with it, but I should think you need to disable whatever sound card or onboard sound you have on the computer first. Then install the software provided before plugging it in. Then connect the speakers to the device. Does manual not say how to install it?

temp003 16:18 16 Feb 04

Sorry, well past my bed-time. Have to go. Hope someone else can follow it up for you.

thisisnighthawk 16:20 16 Feb 04

hi, the device is a small box of tricks to enable records to be put into the PC so we can make CD's, the device is in the argos book, the instructions just say plug it in and load the software, which we have been doing for the last few days, more often than not it locks the PC up, not sure where to go next..

drcmunro 16:25 16 Feb 04

i had a similar problem with a creative external soundcard which was intensely frustrating until i realised that it had to be plugged directly into the computer's usb port, not through a hub. It's been working fine ever since. It might also be worth going to the creative website to see if there are any updated drivers.

spikeychris 16:38 16 Feb 04

Is it being displayed as a separate drive in control panel? what the precise name of it?

temp003...wheres YOURS???

thisisnighthawk 17:11 16 Feb 04

it is a creative sound blaster mp3, it is listed in device manager, and it is plugged into the back of the laptop direct...thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…