What disk drive

wrg 09:58 30 May 09

I have a HP Pavillion DV6000eu. I want to replace the disk drive. It is currently 250gb and I want a hdd with a larger capacity. It currently has a Samsung ATA device. I cannot seem to find ATA device on the internet. Can anyone please advise what I can do.

thanks
wrg

bremner 10:23 30 May 09

The device you should look for is a SATA Hard drive.

click here

johndrew 10:28 30 May 09

ATA drives are often called PATA drives these days. Most laptops use 2.5" drives rather than the 3.5" used in desktops.

Unless you are confident in stripping the PC to replace the drive, I suggest you speak with someone who is competent. You will also need to be able to transfer (clone is the more correct term) data from the existing drive. For this you will need software and a caddy/dock for the new drive.

Some replacement drives can be found click here but many other sources are available.

wrg 13:53 30 May 09

Thanks both for your response. The hard drive is easy to get to, all I have to do is undo 2 screws. I did a backup when I first started the system, can I assume that O/S was backed up. I had to back up to a DVD. Is it better to go for a disk that has a higher rpm. I am running Vista.

Thanks

DieSse 14:13 30 May 09

As this is a laptop - if the current drive is a 5400rpm drive, then yes, a 7200rpm drive will give you noticeably higher performance.

You can't assume that a backup includes the OS. It may do - it all depends what type of backup you did.

DieSse 14:16 30 May 09

PS - and if you want a backup that includes all your OS - the OS updates - your data - your settings - your installed software (above what the system came with) - and generally the exact state your system is in now. Then you need a complete image of the whole system as it is now.

There is software around that will do this safely and comprehensively, such as Acronis True Image.

woodchip 14:19 30 May 09

ATA and SATA are not the same and will not connect to the same cable, some motherboard support one or the other but some support both. ATA is EIDE.

SATA is a different kettle of fish

4 pages on ATA click here

SATA click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:32 30 May 09

"The hard drive is easy to get to, all I have to do is undo 2 screws." to determine whether
Serial ATA
or Parallel ATA
just look at the drives connections. click here

SATA 2.5" drives use the exact same connectors as their big 3.5" brothers (same data cable, same power cable). The only time you will see anything different is when a manufacturer uses an extension/adapter attached to those headers, however you should be able to take the adapter off.

"can I assume that O/S was backed up. I had to back up to a DVD."

Depends on how the backup is made but probably yes vista is packed to the DVD.

Using something like Acronis rue Image to clone the old drive to the ne one is the best wau to go as when you fit the new drive with the cloned image it is exacty like the old one but with the ext space ALL your data emails favourites etc. are the same.

"Is it better to go for a disk that has a higher rpm."

Yes, but your unlikely to notice much difference.

wrg 14:53 30 May 09

Many thanks to you all. One last question if I may. How do you use Acronis, to what/where do I create a clone of my old disk. The backup I did was the one that you have to do when you first use the computer and can only be done once.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:04 30 May 09

"The backup I did was the one that you have to do when you first use the computer and can only be done once."

It is probably like the TOSHIBA I sorted last weekend and is a self restoring image of the machine as delivered.

Clone with Acronis click here

woodchip 15:26 30 May 09

You need another drive to clone to or use a USB caddy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…