What difference will 24mbps make to my life?

N5 girl 18:40 21 Jun 06

I am one of those 'lucky' souls that lives next door to the exchange and has access to broadband at 24mbps. Right now I do not think I need it but please could someone explain to me what difference it makes.

I understand that dial-up and broadband is like b&w tv and colour tv but what are the greater broadband speeds used for - is it just to download files quicker? Can you achieve things with 24mbps that can't be done with 1/2/8 mbps etc...?

Apologies if someone has already asked this elsewhere...

ade.h 18:52 21 Jun 06

Not a lot, really.

Out in the real world, where servers are often over-worked at peak times and have finite bandwidth, there is only so much that one can expect from them. Even on a humble 8Mb connection, I often see a lot of variations between servers. One will fly along, while another will plainly not be using my connection speed to the fullest.

And what are you downloading?
Music - not much difference.
Video - advantageous, pending the above comments.
Webpages - diddly squat.

N5 girl 19:01 21 Jun 06

Right now I am not downloading a whole lot but that is because I have been able to do pretty much what I want at work. However what I would like to be able to download is legal video and also benefit from high definition broadcasts where possible.

In this instance would it make much of a difference?

I don't plan on getting the 24 service now - but I do want to know as much as possible before making any choices.

ade.h 19:28 21 Jun 06

Like I say, for video - above caveats aside - it would be advantageous. Likewise for high-bandwidth streams.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…