What is the differance between Intel & AMD memory?

dangerus1 14:15 03 Feb 15

I have bought an old Dell PC (well know auction site) and it is fine for what I want. It only has 1.5GB Ram on a 32bit Windows XP, I want to put the maximum it will take (4GB) but I'm confused as some modules with the same spec are advertised as being for AMD and won't work with an Intel PC. Is there a difference?. DDR2 PC-5300 667MHZ 240DIMM.

The Kestrel 14:52 03 Feb 15

Use the scanner at Crucial to find out which memory os compatible with you PC. I would recommend you buy their memory too as they are regarded as one of the best suppliers.

Link to scanner click here

dangerus1 15:04 03 Feb 15

I have run the Crucial scan and that is what gave me the spec of DDR2 PC-5300 667Mhz Non ECC, but on eBay sometimes the same spec is advertised for AMD and not Intel.

wee eddie 15:56 03 Feb 15

Remember that your PC will only be able to use up to 3.25GB of it as it is a 32bit System

Secret-Squirrel 16:13 03 Feb 15

"It only has 1.5GB Ram............I want to put the maximum it will take (4GB)"

1.5GB is usually more than enough for most XP users. If that PC isn't using more than that then you'll be wasting your time and money with a RAM upgrade. Thankfully it's easy to find the information required to make that decision:

After you've been using the PC for a while with all the programs you'd normally have running, open up XP's Task Manager and click on the "Performance" tab. Look at the value for "Commit charge (K) -> Peak". That shows the maximum amount of memory (including page file usage) that's been used for the current Windows session. If that value is equal to 1.5GB or greater then get some more RAM - if it's a lot lower then extra RAM won't make any difference.

A quicker way is to simply glance at the "PF Usage" graph to see if it ever shows more than 1.5GB.

By the way, there's no such thing as "Intel & AMD memory" - it's all the same.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…