What is "Debian Etch"?

grumpy-git 15:18 08 Nov 07

Just had an e-mail from my web host:-

Please be advised that we shall be upgrading our Linux platform to the latest version of Debian Etch. The upgrade shall take place mid-January 2008.

You are receiving this email because your web space contains self-compiled / third-party binary files, which may no longer function properly following the upgrade.>>

This means nothing to me, I haven't heard of Debian Etch before. Can anybody explain simply what it's all about & what will & won't work with it?

g-g

bowman 13:25 09 Nov 07

I'm not sure what the effect will be on your setup but this is what they are talking about :

click here

Its a newer (updated) version of a Linux OS

grumpy-git 14:35 09 Nov 07

Thanks bowman.

I had already searched a few sites to try & understand it more, but really it all goes over my head.

My sites are mostly built using NetObjects Fusion, I also use a Coppermine photo gallery & phpBB message boards. Am I likely to have any problems do you think?

bowman 17:59 09 Nov 07

I'm still learning Linux myself.....

But by reading your post (third party binary files) I would think that you would have no problems with NetObjects? it maybe that problems may arise through phpBB message boards??

I could be totaly wrong? I'm sure that someone will know more about this and maybe of more help to you.

Hoefuly you will have NO problems.

bowman

bowman 18:01 09 Nov 07

oops....

That should read "hopefully"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now