What is CThelper.exe for?

CurlyWhirly 17:00 10 Jul 04

I have a file in Windows Task Manager under Processes called CThelper.exe
I know it is something to do with my Creatice sound card but does anyone know exactly what it is for?
I have tried disabling it from Windows Task Manager but it refuses to go away?
Is this normal as most of my processes in Windows Task Manager CAN be disabled apart from critical system processes which I wouldnt want to delete anyway?
I am wondering if it is some sort of trojan that cant be detected?
I have run a virusscan, Spybot, and the A2 (a squared) trojan scanner but nothing is found!
Any thoughts anyone?

bremner 17:04 10 Jul 04

click here for an explanation

Diodorus Siculus 17:07 10 Jul 04

click here -
Welcome to the File Database!

Very helpful for discovering what's what.

Diodorus Siculus 17:08 10 Jul 04

click here for their answer - to do with Creative sound cards.

CurlyWhirly 17:12 10 Jul 04

Thanks for the link that you sent me and I realise that it is some plug-in to do with my Creative sound card but I still have 2 questions:
1/ Is it important to have it running? i.e. would my sound card stop working without it?
2/ Why can't it be disabled from Windows Task Manager?
I thought Windows Task Manager could disable any file? Well any file except my virusscan MCshield.exe that is also impossible to disable but I wouldn't want to disable my anti-virus anyway.
If I knew one way or the other I could attempt to stop it at MSconfig > Startup

CurlyWhirly 17:18 10 Jul 04

Thanks for the Kephyr.com database - I have now added it to my favourite site list!
Yes that's why I asked the question as on Windows Task Manager it is nearly always using up around 2 and 5% of my CPU time so if it was safe to delete or disable at MSconfig > startup I would then do so.
I can't be certain but I am sure I have disabled it at Msconfig > startup before but it keeps coming back!

buscrew 17:56 10 Jul 04

Try this click here it tells you all you need to know, and rates start up programmes regarding their usefulness.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…