What is CSRSS.exe

theDarkness 17:06 16 Mar 09

What is CSRSS.exe? In the task manager i have 2 of them, in the users column one is under 'system', the other under my user name. The one under my name is in capital letters, both are not being used by the cpu, but they both take up around 3 mb of memory.. any ideas? I cannot turn them off as they are supposedly needed ms files, but if so why two of them running at once?

bremner 17:19 16 Mar 09

click here for an explanation.

theDarkness 18:07 16 Mar 09

thanks. im thinking the cloned process in capital letters i have labelled under my name instead of system, 'CSRSS.exe' might be the one i need to get rid of, but i am not connected to the net on that system at all. The only thing i have installed recently is an external hard drive, ashampoo core tuner (from the latest pc advisor disc!) and a file encryption program (Hibit) which was from its official website?

theDarkness 18:20 16 Mar 09

I managed to search the entire system for both of these executables. One is only 6 kb, the other is 120 kb. I am running xp. I have scanned both of these files with norton antivirus and nothing comes up, so im assuming even though i cant explain as to why i have both of these processes running at once, i should have fairly little to worry about? Can anyone give further info as to why i have 2 identical named processes running

theDarkness 19:08 16 Mar 09

Ok ill recommend to avoid Hibit as this program also installs a clone CSRSS.exe 120 kb file thats hard to delete, despite the fact that their program itself might have been good. labelling one of their processes identically to a microsoft one is rather sneaky and doesnt give out the impression of a legitimate company. Shameful! Make sure you have more than one account as this has now buggered up my user account, i can no longer log in. I cannot choose a guest account either.. aaargh

I got the info here
click here

..but now i can no longer access my user account on my pc, even though i definately got rid of the correct version of the file! any ideas how i can get my pc working again? I did not have any other accounts on the system, and guest account was switched off

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…