What is csrss.exe?

Philbert 19:38 27 Nov 05

csrss.exe keeps showing up as a Task Manager process. Norton antivirus identified it as a virus file but couldn't remove it. Yesterday NOD32 identified it and said it removed it. My son says that for months when he logs into his account (we have WinXP) he gets 4 warning messages that there are no registry entries found for csrss.exe. Right now both NOD32 and Trend Micro Housecall says the PC is free of viruses. My son still gets the warnings about no registry entries for csrss.exe.

What is going on and what do I need to do to eliminate these warnings my son gets?

(a.k.a. Philbert)

VoG II 19:39 27 Nov 05

click here

Try a scan with Ewido click here

Philbert 19:47 27 Nov 05

The information page was great. Thank you.
When I click the link for Ewido I get a "connection refused" message. I get this when I try to go to Symantec's site and other antivirus sites. Is this the work of the virus, or are all these sites super busy right now?

VoG II 19:49 27 Nov 05

Probably the work of the virus.

See if an on-line scan will work click here

Philbert 19:58 27 Nov 05

I did a Trend Micro Housecall scan earlier today and it didn't find any viruses. IE then found an error before getting the the "Clean" step of Housecall. But since the "Summary" step found no viruses or worms I thought I was OK.
My son experiences a lot more problems than the rest of the family. Could it be that somehow the registry is missing something for his account? Is there a utility that can find it and fix it?

yvie 20:07 27 Nov 05

Hi Im no expert, but someone advised me to scan in safe mode, with ewido and stinger, and found the problem. Make sure you update BEFORE you scan as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…