what is cpu?

FaerieWings 16:33 02 May 03

well, what is it?!

MartinT-B 16:36 02 May 03

CPU
central processing unit
The CPU--a highly complex silicon chip ranging from the size of a matchbook to the wallet-sized Intel Xeon--is your computer's brain, taking requests from applications and then processing, or executing, actions, a.k.a. operations. The faster your processor, the more operations it can execute per second. The more operations you have per second, the faster things happen in your applications; thus, games play more smoothly, and spreadsheets calculate more quickly. Sometimes the term CPU is also used to describe the whole box that contains the chip (along with the motherboard, expansion cards, disk drives, power supply, and so on). Both uses are widespread, but only the first is really accurate.

MartinT-B 16:37 02 May 03
  professor 20:03 02 May 03

to simplify 4 u mate a CPU= central processing unit and its what makes the pc do its tasks its set eg.open and close programs ect. and the faster the CPU the quicker your pc runs

prof

LAP 22:06 02 May 03

try click here it's worth a look. LAP.

Coaster3 22:16 02 May 03

Hardly as accurate as MartinT-B's explanation!

VoG™ 22:24 02 May 03

click here

I think that you have asked an excellent question. Lots of us use these abbreviations and acronyms without regard to those not in the know. Keep them coming.

DieSse 22:30 02 May 03

CPU - yet another TLA

;-))

FaerieWings 10:55 03 May 03

whats TLA?!

VoG™ 10:59 03 May 03

Three Letters Acronym (I think).

recap 12:44 03 May 03

Was there not a section on here that gave the answers to IT jargon?

FaerieWings, might I suggest you buying a computer dictionary. I did when I first started in computers five years ago and it's been an invalubale tool even now.

As VoG™ says though keep `em coming. Personally I talk a lot of jargon and forget what the acronym means sometimes. This type of question keeps us on our toes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…