What is a CLSID

sheila.weston 11:28 25 Mar 07

I have used a registered copy of Xsoftspy and an unregistered download of Bug Doctor. Bug Doctor shows 23 CLSIDs, 200 odd missing shortcuts and several corrupted help files, which Xsoftspy doesn't find. My XP computer is working fine, so I am not too worried about the shortcuts and help files, but what are CLSIDs?

Thanks for any help.

Monument 11:31 25 Mar 07

Googled click here

skidzy 11:38 25 Mar 07

After a quick look through Google about BugDoctor...well i would be removing this as quickly as possible.
Mcafee site advisor comes up red from most of the download locations,though this is not always correct.

Read a couple of reports that suggests scare tatics...to be this sounds sounds more like a rogue program,just after your money.

sheila.weston 11:56 25 Mar 07

Gosh! I have removed Bug Doctor as suggested. I downloaded it after seeing it mentioned in this forum. The CLSIDs obviously aren't important to the running of my pc, although I still don't fully understand what they are!

I should have said that I ran Reg Organizer, as well as Xsoftspy. These removed only 100 of the 300 missing shortcuts which Bug Doctor had previously found.

rick808 11:59 25 Mar 07

Using any kind of registry cleaner/optimizer is always risky and it's dubious as to whether there's much to gain from using them. There's no way any cleaner can use generic rules to identify problems on individual pc's and get it right 100%. If you do use one, always make sure it creates an accessable backup and if in any doubt of what you are removing leave well alone!

johndrew 12:22 25 Mar 07

If you want to try a free and respected registry cleaner I would suggest Ccleaner click here

As an optimiser I use BootVis from click here or click here which I find works for me.

I would also suggest ERUNT click here as a speedy backup tool for your registry although I have no information on its sister program NTREGOPT which is classed as an optimiser also.

Stuartli 12:29 25 Mar 07

If you want to know the purpose of CLSIDs, see:

click here

sheila.weston 13:44 25 Mar 07

Many thanks, all. I am much clearer, now - the related pages at click here are excellent, so I'll mark the thread as resolved.

I'll stick with Reg Organizer from chemtable.com, for the moment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now