What is the cheapest easiest way to...............

Jason-284828 19:45 27 Dec 03

......To share a broadband connection between 2 PC's.

I have NTL 600K Broadband through a modem not set top box and want to share the connection between the 2 PC's, the first is running XP home and has Ethernet & USB port's the second is running WIN 98 and again has ethernet & USB ports.

The first PC is allways on while the second is only used occasionally.

Thanks for any help.

gold 47 23:11 27 Dec 03

I am new to broadband but have found in my case i am with AOL you can use two broadband modems one on each computer but like dial up you can't use two at the same time and as i have found with ADSL one computer must be powered down not left in standbye

Jason-284828 23:52 27 Dec 03

I've only got the one modem and want to be able to use the connection on both machines at once.

DieSse 00:14 28 Dec 03

How is the modem connected?

Jason-284828 00:17 28 Dec 03

At the moment it's connected via USB to the PC with XP Home, If I want to use the internet on the WIN 98 pc I have to unplug the modem and plug it in via USB

TECHNODIMWIT 00:32 28 Dec 03

link both PC`s via a X-over cable, run the network wizard on the PX pc, follow instructions
run the floppy in the win98 pc, and off you go

Jason-284828 00:38 28 Dec 03

What floppy, I don't have a floppy drive on my XP Machine.

I take it you mean some kind of ethernet cable, will the one I got with the cable modem be the right one or will it be a trip to PC World tomorrow.

How long are the cables????

pcgal 02:55 28 Dec 03

jason u need to purchase a crossover cable to connect both RJ45 ethernet ports.
Xp wizard will configure your master computer but the floppy it creates will not run on win98.

I still recommend running the xp network wizard but do not create a floppy at the end of the wizard process just end without creating.
Once youve re-booted goto programs/accessories/command prompt and type IPCONFIG/ALL and make a note of your configuration details such as IP address and manually configure the 98 machine once u have your cable.

Roadgiant 07:57 28 Dec 03

Should not be a problem with using a floppy created under Xp on a pc with 98 on, or from memory I think you can even use your Xp disc in your 98 machine to set the network up.
Look under Xp help "Home amd small office networking" for more help.
As far as x-over cables go I bought mine from a computer fair about £4 for a 15 metre cable,I don't know what sort of lenght you need or PCW stock.
One other thing to be wary of is firewalls, I seem to remember that when I set my 2 pc's up (same as you 1 Xp, 1 W98 on NTL) I had quite a few problems getting it right, eventually ended up with one Pc with ZoneAlarm free and one with ZoneAlarm Pro.

A15 09:42 28 Dec 03

& have been down the route of trying to share broadband via an X-over cable with an XP & a 98 machine.

Oh the headaches! Oh the problems! After a while of trying I got it working using a separate program other than Internet Connection Sharing, but it never did run smoothly.

Gave up in the end, & bought a wired router for £60. All of my problems & headaches disappeared without a trace. The whole setup runs like a dream, including sharing files & printers.

If you can, get a router, it's so much easier & less complicated.

BlueMeanie 15:09 28 Dec 03

A router using network cables (not USB) will allow you to share your internet connection. The router I purchased last week from a computer fair cost £29 ORIGO brand, and works just fine straight out of the box. It also has a USB printer port to allow shared printing - although I have not used this option yet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…