What is CDILLA

alcudia 15:29 22 Aug 03

I have been curious for some time about a folder on my hard drive called CDILLA. It seems that it may have created to register something or other, but I am guessing. Does anyone know what this is and can I get rid of it.

mark500 15:32 22 Aug 03

Company: Macrovision
Product: CDilla

Basically, protection against pirated copies of copyrighted media is a good thing. The bad thing about this one is that it is often installed without the knowledge of the user. Old advertisement from Macrovision said that CDilla (or SafeCast to call it by their name) would protect against unauthorized internet downloads. While this would mean that it would watch all internet transfer, such functionality could not be found. Notice: while we currently detect CDilla, We DO condemn audio/video/software piracy.

BE WARNED: The application that has installed CDilla may stop working if you remove it!
Do not remove if you haven't updated to 1.1 rel 4 or later!

You may need to keep CDilla on your system because another application needs it as a license management system. There were some reports that CDilla would phone home, but that hasn't be proven. As a general safety measure, we recommend you use a firewall.

alcudia 16:00 22 Aug 03

So something I have installed has also put this folder on my system. It actually only contains one .dat file. What I don't know is whether it is managing a licence for a program, or is spying on me. For the moment I think I'll move it somewhere else and see if anything complains.

Gaz 25 20:10 22 Aug 03

Preventon Firewalls and Kazza ussually use CDILLA,

you can remove it as it is spyware by using click here

alcudia 08:27 26 Aug 03

Thanks for the responses.
If I had read what SpyBot reported I would have found out for myself.
I now know what put it on my machine. It is a preinstalled DVD Player etc. called MGI SoftDVD Max. It seems I will have to leave it alone or the app may well stop working.

Gaz 25 09:46 26 Aug 03

MGI SoftDVD Max. They are not starting with Cdilla are they?

All of them are at it, it will be MS next.

It is a tracker to stop copying.

Good thing is you can restore the file if it is needed with Spybot.

Meshuga 19:34 26 Aug 03

I had this problem after installing Preventon firewall. Apparently it is part of the license
agreement that you keep it on otherwise you cannot use that program and will be told to reinsert the original disk to be confirmed.
Since,according to the program suppliers, it does no harm and is not spyware I have left it and
have no problems. The fact is that if you want to use the program you`ve got to put up with cdilla.
Meshuga.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…