What caused monitor power save mode

son-of-a-gun 22:03 11 Jul 04

Some time back while fiddling in the BIOS (AMI) I came across an entry in the opening screen saying

Load high performance defaults.

Having had a number of glasses of plonk & in a moment of complete madness I pressed enter I immediately lost all video output from the monitor, the PC still made the right noises during boot but throughout, absolutely no display was shown on screen, not even the BIOS screen.The monitor was in power save mode.

To resolve this because I couldn't’t find the JBAT jumper to discharge the BIOS I removed the battery for 10 minutes refitted it, turned on the PC, hit delete, got into the BIOS and was able then to reset to the original setting with no further problems with the display.

My question, can someone please expand on what happened, to explain why or how I managed to loose the video?
The reason I now ask, is a friends done what seems to be the same, but finds it hard to believe that changing this setting could affect the video out.

Windows XP Home, SP1.
512 DDR (PC3200) 2x256
Sony 8x DVD+RW
Sony 52x24x52 CDRW
Raid-0 2x160 GB
Radeon AIW 9800SE 128mb
512 ADSL
A Black boc a few fan's
oh, and a monitor, keyboard, & a mouse.

Night Ryder 22:13 11 Jul 04

I did a similar thing last week with one of my PC's to see what difference it would make. Similar terminal result, however after BIOS did its thing I was left with a black screen and flashing cursor in the top left corner. It didn't even try to boot to windows. I quickly put things back as they were and all is working now. Can only guess that the result achieved by selecting the high performance settings varies depending on the other hardware installed. I suggest you go to the web page for the manufacturer of your motherboard for an explanation of this setting.

pipedream 22:29 11 Jul 04

On most modern motherboards like yours, the high performance option usually needs the highest performance RAM, graphics card etc. to operate (there are usually warnings in the manual about this) - perhaps this option sets an AGP parameter your card can't cope with?

son-of-a-gun 23:21 11 Jul 04

Thanks both for your input I would say you have hit the nail on the head.

Night Ryder Thanks, I'm glad its not just me who gets a rush of blood

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now