What can I upgrade on my laptop?

hexmatrix 15:57 04 Jun 14

Hey all,

TLDR: I need advise on replacing and APU, Laptop model : Compaq 15 h011sa

I'm new here but not at all new to the tech scene.

However, I've just got a new laptop (old one was out of date, needed it) from PC World (I hate the consumer traps from them!)

Anyway, I just bought a pretty basic laptop, 1ghz dual core processor (APU) and 4gb of ram because I thought I wouldn't need it for anything else other than programming - Until I came to 3D Game Programming.

The laptop runs terrible when faced with DX10/11 even though the APU supports it! - My conclusion is it's the low base clock speed on the processor.

I've replaced multiple CPU's before, but I don't have a clue about the APU (which btw is the AMD E1-2100 with Radeon HD Graphics)

I believe I'd have to replace the APU with a CPU and then Install some other type of graphics device, but I'm not entirely sure and don't want to go about it and end up putting the laptop in a state of dis-repair.

The Laptop model is: Compaq 15 h011sa

If somebody holds the knowledge to help me, please reply.

Thanks, HEX.

howard64 16:29 04 Jun 14

with laptops you are limited to what you can update. I would not personally bother changing the cpu unless it had died. If it is seriously underpowered then sell it and buy a better one. I did not see if you are running 32-bit or 64-bit. If 64-bit can you upgrade the ram? go to crucial.com/uk and run their memory scanner it will tell you what is fitted and what you can replace it with. If it is 32-bit you already have more than it can use.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:37 04 Jun 14

APU is described as a processing device which integrates a CPU and an OpenCL compatible GPU on the same die

APUs can also include video processing and other application-specific accelerators.

from wiki

So no you can not replace with cpu and graphics device. It doesn't appear to be possible to replace the Apu with a faster model either on this machine

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…