What can I replace my old Radeon 9700Pro with?

gozzila 21:47 04 Jun 07

I have a 4yr old Dell Dimension 8250, which had an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128mb card in when I bought it. This card has now grown faulty - copes only with the least demanding graphics needs. I want to replace it, but wonder what my options might be as the power supply is only 250W and the AGP slot is 4X, 1.5Volts.

jay.p 00:56 05 Jun 07

if you don't play the latest games it may be a case of just upgrading the driver.
i believe the 9700 range is the latest card to support 4x agp,so other than that a new motherboard upgrade i'm afraid.
you can by an 8x card and use it quite merrily but won't quite get as good a performance as if in an 8x agp slot.

Totally-braindead 01:05 05 Jun 07

I wouldn't be too concerned about the x4 and x8 speed thing, it might appear that a 8x card in a 4x slot would be half the speed but its not as simple as that and the difference would be fairly small, I don't think you would be able to notice it.
The problem as far as I am concerned is the power supply, you obviously realise that as you have mentioned the power supply, some Dells came with a non standard power supply and because of this I would check it out with Dell first. If you can just replace it then no problem but if not then its really better to get a new PC. You can get graphics cards, older ones, that do not need extra power and that may be your only other option.
Try giving Novatech a call and ask them what they have graphics wise that only requires power from the AGP slot and would be an improvement over a 9700.

Totally-braindead 01:17 05 Jun 07

Should perhaps have mentioned something else. You say your PC is 4 years old. Now depending on the spec IE speed of processor and how much memory you have it might be a waste of time spending much upgrading what you have. I say might as if the processor as an example is reasonably slow then throwing cash at it to put in a good graphics card might be a waste as a newer card might be able to do more than the processor can handle. Its all about balance in my opinion. Theres no point in putting a really good card in a PC that runs very slow as it will not be able to get the advantage out of the upgrade.
And new PCs come with PCI Express not AGP and therefore any money spent now will die on the PC, what I mean is if you got a really good card now and buy a new PC in 6 months time then you can't use the card so its wasted.
I think the GeForce 6200 doesn't require more power and I think its better than the card you have but both these points would have to be checked out. On the plus side its only about £40 or so.

akokddy 04:15 05 Jun 07

worth a look, thanks

----------------------------------------------

click here

Totally-braindead 19:45 05 Jun 07

akokddy wrong thread perhaps?

FreeCell 20:09 05 Jun 07

Totally-braindead

akokddy is a spam post. There have been a number of these appearing over the last week or two that I have noticed. Presumke as they have a different registerd name each time the FE cannot block them easily.

gozzila 21:45 06 Jun 07

Thanks for advice, I'll check out Novatech & the 6200. Incidentally, the processor is a P4 3.06Ghz, but with only 512MB RAM. I think ideally I just want a cheap card that will mean the PC is not totally redundant. The Radeon served me well - I think it may have been ompany of Heroes that finally killed it ;)

Totally-braindead 23:36 06 Jun 07

Well thats a pretty reasonable processor even nowadays so its definatly worth the upgrade. Another 512mb RAM would be good as well if you wish but its not essential.
The thing to do before you do anything else is check the label on your power supply, then decide what you are going to do.
The 6200 is not a great card these days and there are a lot of really good cards out there for your PC that would keep it going for a good while yet, but they do require more power and you would have to upgrade the power supply as well.
Personally I would be looking at a GeForce 7600GT or above but it would definatly need a better power supply.
Have a look at this for some advice on cards click here and do check with Dell that your PC will take a standard power supply, it should but I like to play safe. Dell sell graphics cards as well, perhaps they could offer you a deal on a power supply and a card, it depends how much they want. You can get a good quality branded power supply for aroung £50 just to give you an idea.

gozzila 20:22 12 Jun 07

Sigh. Dell responded to advise that if I want to upgrade the PSU, I'd also need to upgrade the motherboard ("as it will only be designed to cope with the voltage supplied from existing PSU").

So, looks like I can write off any card that needs more power than the AGP slot provides.

Novatech have suggested an X1550 card (but a google on that card tells me it also has a recommendation for minimum 400W supply?)

keef66 10:11 13 Jun 07

I have a vanilla gf6600 running in a 6 yr old AGP4x motherboard and it requires no additional power connector. Mind you, my psu is an Antec Truepower 380w, so that might make a difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now