what can i do with my pc?

dfghjkl 17:47 10 Feb 04

i have spent the last 2 years ,since i first turned on a pc (A P1,133mhz)trying to get a decent pc.i now have what i want,amd 2500+,win xp pro,512 ddr ram,70gig,dvd,cdrw,soundblaster live,5.1 sound,hauppage tv card,mx440 graphics(weakest link,my next upgrade)19" monitor and 150k ntl bb.the trouble is, it is working so well that i am not sure what to do next,i am used to playing with settings etc in order to make my pc run smooth.i started to play the odd game but i dont play much.i have tried playing with opera and that was fun,i am thinking of giving mozilla a go.but i was wondering what everyone else did with their pcs ?(not including work)or give me any ideas,i would be very grateful.if it comes to it i might have to do the house accounts.thanks,peter.

Stuartli 17:51 10 Feb 04

You sound like the types who go to camera clubs and only talk about equipment, rather than actually taking photographs.

Google has almost four billion pages on offer - surely you can find something of interest to do on your system amongst them...:-)

Why not try researching your family tree for a start?

billyliv 17:52 10 Feb 04

Hi, I have a self build system and make my own Country and western CDs (for my own use and all legal). I suggest you upgrade to 600k. Cheers, Bill

gudda96 17:54 10 Feb 04

I think a lot depends on your age and interests

I do my house accounts/e-mails/letters/buy online/
print my labels for addresses/check the internet for answers/burn audio cd's/photoes.

kikokun 18:07 10 Feb 04

this global network looking for alien life out there, it uses any idle power from your PC to scan and analyze radio waves from space.

Diemmess 18:18 10 Feb 04

Are you clutching a huge block of wood when you type that?

dfghjkl 18:22 10 Feb 04

funny you should mention photos,i have just got a digital camera (know of any clubs?)so i will probably try messing about,taking red eye out etc.i am also going to 600k very soon,i am just waiting for the start of the motor racing calender.i use google a lot but it is so vast that i have diffiulty knowing where to start.i am not sure about a family tree,too many skeletons.what do you do?thanks for all answers.peter.

whatsupdoc 18:53 10 Feb 04

apart from sitting in front of my PC working most of the time, i satisfy my curiosity for a lot of things by generally doing a google and ending up sometimes in fascinating pages full of info and games and talking (or typing) to lots of different people from all over the world.
as Del boy would say "the worlds your lobster)

you say you like to tinker with the settings, how about learning to program? that way you can really make the PC do what you want.or if you're more artistic than mathematical an easy an cheap thing to get into( it wont stay cheap once you get hooked) is the whole area of computer graphics. but indeed i must agree the world is indeed you "Lobster". H.

Actually I know what you could do, Can you translate German?

JKAM 19:08 10 Feb 04

May I suggest that you attend a computer course for beginners locally, as virtually anything is possible with a PC. Would also suggest that you ask a friend, as the subject is far too large and complex to discuss over emails.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…