What can I do if I cant get Broadband?

MUK 20:40 14 Aug 03

So I am out of the Broadband area and want to speed up my internet access and not incur a terrific phone bill!

I would also like to be online and receive a phone call at the same time.

Does anyone know the best solution?

Legolas 20:44 14 Aug 03

Yoy could try sattelite broadband although it is expensive to install and you will still need your dial up for uploading files to the internet and for sending emails as sattelite only works for receiving data.

MUK 20:51 14 Aug 03

How expensive is it approximately and is it a one off charge?

I dont really know about it, is it a bit like broadband in that you have to be in the right area?

Any links to websites would be most appreciated.

Chris the Ancient 21:01 14 Aug 03

Not a particularly attractive proposition but...

My bro-in-law lives in a b/b-less area. His offspring surf like it's a sunny California day and he needs to phone.

He bit the (expensive) bullet and had an ISDN line put in as an extra and made the kids contribute a little!

Not ideal, but he managed to separate the phone and the net - and speed up the net a little bit.

In these days of real b/b ISDN is very much the poor relation (speed-wise - not money-wise) but it may be a way to go.

Chris

Legolas 21:06 14 Aug 03
  KeithMV 21:25 14 Aug 03

I know the problems you are having, I live in Rural North Wales and BT even took the exchange off the updating list, and of course no other supplier wants to take it on.
Anyway my solution is to do what I do, Rent "2" lines from BT under the BT Together plan, switch your calls to NTLFreedom (The cost for NTL is £15 min a month in telephone calls and all your internet time is free, if the tele calls come to under £15 they just charge you the straight £15.)
Have one line for telephone calls and the other for internet, and obviously you have to pay BT for the line rentals, but when working out what you pay BT and the amount of time you spend online, you win. Sattelite is mega expensive to set up and maintain plus you still got to have a line to upload anything.

Monkey Boy UK

bambam005 22:36 14 Aug 03

you can get a 2x64k line with ISDN , although you have to pay for a telephone line on top . This is all I could find click here

rev.bem 22:56 14 Aug 03

Move :-)

bellyshere 23:40 14 Aug 03

Don't bother with sat broadband unless your loaded. Isdn isn't much faster than dial up. Yep, you'll have to put up with slow bloody dial up like the rest of us not likely to ever get broadband through phone lines. However, new technology being trialed in this country, could be our saviour. Broadband through your electric cables. Scottish electric and southern electric are currently using electric cables to deliver broadband to homes. It doesn't matter where you live. Not 100% spot on yet, but could be the answer.

pj123 10:57 15 Aug 03

Don't know what area you are in but, do you have a cable company there? Do you have cable running in your street? If so, give them a ring.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…