What can I do with this camera?

s99Raj 12:40 13 Jun 07

I have what looks like a web cam.

On it, it says it's a Sony Color Video Camera, Model CCD-Z8E, but I can't seem to find much on the Net as to exactly what it is and what I can do with it.

It has one male socket with 8 pins on it; what does this plug into?

(I found this camera in the loft, by the way, with a pile of other stuff which has been there for a while.)

rodriguez 12:46 13 Jun 07

From what I can can gather from the very few (and foreign) eBay listings, it looks like a CCTV camera that plugs into an S-VHS recorder.

rodriguez 12:48 13 Jun 07

Also I would imagine the 8 pins are as follows

2 for power
2 for video signal
maybe 2 for audio if it has a mic
and 2 for some other purpose, possibly motion detection or unused

But it's anyone's guess as which pin carries which signal. Interesting find that is.

s99Raj 12:52 13 Jun 07

So I need a Video Recorder with the correct 8-pin connection? Is that right? And then I could use it as a CCTV recorder?

Roughly how much are they going for on e-Bay, albeit foreign sites?

rodriguez 13:01 13 Jun 07

Yes you would, normally CCTV S-VHS machines are bigger than standard machines and are cream in colour instead of black or silver. They take S-VHS tapes which are exactly the same as VHS tapes, just they have much higher quality (so standard VHS tapes will fit it). I found a recorder for $70 on eBay from th USA, but it will record in NTSC format instead of PAL so you'd need a VCR that can play back both formats (most modern ones do). click here

s99Raj 13:06 13 Jun 07

Thank you for that!

I don't think this camera's much use to me - I'll probably just chuck it in the charity bag.

woodchip 16:43 13 Jun 07

Is it this? click here
If so as above it's a Industrial Video Camera

woodchip 16:44 13 Jun 07

Is it this? click here
If so as above it's a Industrial Video Camera

s99Raj 20:21 13 Jun 07

No, it's this one :

click here

woodchip 15:49 14 Jun 07

Yes its for putting on a shelf in a shop to monitor people and shoplifters

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced