What can I do

Kevscar1 11:27 20 Oct 09

Kept getting slowdown and freezes. Task manager showed some programs suddenly using a lot more CPU than normal. It even jumped up to 24% itself sometimes.
Ran CCcleaner SuperantiSpyware AVG and a couple of other programs no difference. In desperation I followed a link in another thread which took me to a site showing which services could ne disabled.
Afterwards no system restore, moviemaker or DVD maker in my rograms menu and about half the other programs would not work.
Safe boot still no restore program but it let me go back using the previous days backup however still no restore moviemaker dvd maker in my programs list.
I have run Advanced systerm care 3 it fixed some problems but says there are 497 system errors and 163 unoptimised settingsand wants me to pay to upgrade which it says will increase Computer speed by 285% reliability 81% and internet speed by 159%. Has anyone used them and are those figures correct. Even if I do buy it is that liable to bring the programs back.
The only other alternative I can think of is to reinstall Vista but do I need to copy all my programs to exterenal hard drive or will it leave them unaffected.

bremner 11:58 20 Oct 09

A full reinstall, which you would, need would remove all your programs and saved files.

You need to backup everything of value, images, documents, video's etc to an external medium.

You cannot save the programs themselves, they will need to be reinstalled after the O/S installation.

birdface 13:25 20 Oct 09

A system restore might help.

I followed a link in another thread which took me to a site showing which services could ne disabled.

Maybe go back to that site and enable the programs that you disabled.

It would probably have been msconfig.or services.If services and you are using Xp .Control panel.Administration Tools.Services and see if you can find the ones that you disabled.

birdface 13:28 20 Oct 09

Once that you have got your system back to normal you could try this.

click here

You want the trial version.it will only repair 10 items at a time but you can run it as often as you like.

Kevscar1 15:47 20 Oct 09

buteman
not going to try that site again. it caused the problems. backup has restored the settings but for some reason programs missing from start menu.
Manual sarch has found folder for moviemaker and dvd maker so made new shortcuts but I cannot find which folder system rstore is in.
Running your program now but it,s going to take hours.

David4637 15:50 20 Oct 09

USE ACRONIS TO BACKUP, No other comes near for an image backup. David

woodchip 16:50 20 Oct 09

Why not try a Repair If you have a Full System Disc, Not a Restore Disc. as this tends to correct matters most times.

Kevscar1 17:02 20 Oct 09

Have the full disc but it only gives option to install when it starts. Want to avoid losing all my programs if possible.

rdave13 17:40 20 Oct 09

In Vista have a look in Windows Defender- tools- software explorer. Select for all users.
click here
Might give you some useful info.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:39 20 Oct 09

Vista Services Disabling
click here
click here

SFC - To check your Windows protected files, proceed as follows:

1/ Click the Start button

2/ From the Start Menu, Click All programs followed by Accessories

3/ In the Accessories menu, Right Click on the Command Prompt option

4/ From the drop down menu that appears, Click on the 'Run as administrator' option

5/ If you have the User Account Control (UAC) enabled you will be asked for authorisation prior to the command prompt opening. You may simply need to press the Continue button if you are the administrator or insert the administrator password etc.

6/ In the Command Prompt window, type: sfc /scannow and then press Enter

7/ A message will appear stating that 'the system scan will begin'

8/ Be patient because the scan may take some time

9/ If any files require replacing SFC will replace them. You may be asked to insert your Vista DVD for this process to continue

10/ If everything is okay you should, after the scan, see the following message "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations"

11/ After the scan has completed, Close the command prompt window

woodchip 18:45 20 Oct 09

You have to boot with the CD choose setup, Windows will check the hard drive for a Operating system And show you what it finds. Click on the OS that it finds to select it then press R to repair it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now