What to buy - in Japan

RKMonty 13:40 15 Feb 04

I'm off to Japan in a few weeks for a holiday....does anyone know of the latest gadget or must buy item in the PC or Electronics line ??

Thanks.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 13:42 15 Feb 04

Was gonna say sushi but u wont tech stuff,heard there was PS3 comming out so may be worth a look see
click here

Regards.

VoG II 14:04 15 Feb 04

Not sure but you may find these useful click here click here

I found it quite a culture shock when I was there on business a couple of years back.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 15:02 15 Feb 04

Dont eat the dog/cat burgers,lol

Reagrds.

Seadog 15:12 15 Feb 04

You may find that stuff over there is no further advanced (or cheaper)than we have in the UK. Nowadays the new products are shipped around the world as soon as they are produced.
Also, with the exchange rate, prices can work out more expensive than the western world!
Hong Kong and Singapore are far better for computer stuff/audio/video - not a lot seems to be made in Japan these days, all under licence in China for example, just make sure that the gear you do buy is compatible with UK systems, i.e. PAL and 220volts.
At least they drive on the same side of the road unlike the septics!

Edstow 15:30 15 Feb 04

Last time I was there, Japan was EXTREMELY expensive for anything and everything.

True, you can get a lot of very high tech stuff there but, most of it seems to remain there and never reaches any other part of the world indicating to me at least that it wasn't much good in the first place (some of the totally useless things that did get out were those idiotic robot dogs and similar stuff a couple of years ago that used an awful lot of technology and electronics but did absolutely nothing useful or interesting).

Be careful you don't get caught in technology for technologies sake. Do you (or anyone else) actually need an microprocessor controlled electronic toaster for toasting nori or an electric wasabi blender? Both of these things I have seen on sale.

(For those not in the know, nori is the seaweed used for wrapping sushi and wasabi is Japanese mustard - mixed in the same way as English mustard - with cold water - what's wrong with a spoon?).

Take plenty of money but keep it in your pocket - you will need it for more mundane things.

Enjoy your holiday:-)

Ed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…