What bits to go for

GBL 15:01 15 Oct 03

I am thinking of upgrading the PC but would like to keep as much as possible, therefore looking at a new Case and power unit, Mainboard and processor, fan.

I get lost with the minefield of jargon and parts out there, I don't want to spend a fortune, quite the opposite really.

Any tips as to what to go for, I do shop occassionally at Novatech, Dabs. So can't ask them for advice.

It would help if you could give detils of your current system and advise what the PC is used for.

If you are not a big ganes player who requires a quality graphics card, it may be that things such as your existing power supply will hanlde the other upgrades you mention.

keith-236785 16:32 15 Oct 03

if you shop at Novatech & Dabs, then they are probably the best ones to ask (apart from PCA forum members of course)

as JamesF says if you arent a big gamer then go for a all in one motherboard (preferably one that takes DDR & SDRAM memory), best value for money, use your old case/power supply (as long as it isnt a slimline DELL or COMPAQ etc), use your old memory, just buy a new motherboard and processor.

im not gonna start saying which to buy but there are some good deals out there (ASROCK, ECS, MSI, to name a few).

good luck anyway

GBL 17:51 15 Oct 03

Thanks for that, I use XP Pro for general home use, surfing, card games, some graphics, photos etc.

Thought about a new case with power supply for about £20 just to renew it.

Did have trouble not so long ago with overheating PSU fan stopped, it doesn't seem the same since, something still not right but hard to put finger on what, have renewed the obvious bits but have got to the stage where I think what the hxxl, do a full job.Go faster etc.

Gaz 25 18:14 15 Oct 03

Go for a decent mobo: MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS....

Then just for the home user a 2400+ Athlon or a 2.4Ghz Intel is ok, especially take some care on the memory, get good quality 256mb or 512mb DDR for XP. If you require more go for a 2600+ Athlon, becuase they are cheap, cheerful and powerful, or an Intel P4 2.66/2.8GHz. 512Mb is great for a power system, no more is needed. PC2700 is a safe option becuase it is reliable and not new technology!

Go for a good Graphics card, avoid Onboard. Just a basic one such as a GeForce 4 440 128Mb DDR one.

If you need more for games go to an FX5200, but you could even go higher if needed, but these two cards are a great improvement over Onboard.

A standard 60Gb HDD is ample for home users, but 80GB is a safe choice.

Finaly, get a decent PSU and enjoy!

pj123 18:19 15 Oct 03

Look at this site and click on Bundles. click here

GBL 18:57 15 Oct 03

thanks that is a great help.
Take care.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…