What is the best way to upgrade?

Debiain 15:58 03 Feb 07

Hello

I have two pc's one is an old mesh about 5 years old that isnt working ( I think its to do with the power pack ) and the other is a pc that is about 3 years old and has a few problems. My main objective is to get one decent pc out of two.
The cd roms on the 3 year old arent working properly so I am going to change them over as the others work well, I like to gameplay so I need a cheap but decent graphics card not sure what to get through and not sure what I can have. I'm also not sure if just upgrading the graphics card is enough.

Anyway the spec for the 3 year old is as follows so if possible can people give me some ideas as I am as green as the hills when it comes to this.

Motherboard: American Megatrends Inc.
Ram: 240MB although it should say 256?
Processor: AMD Duron 1.10GHZ
Hard Drive Capacity: 60GB

Monitor Compaq V700

many Thanks

Debs

Pamy 16:13 03 Feb 07

Motherboard: American Megatrends Inc. Do you realy mean this, as that is usually the bios not the motherboard. I would consider buying new when you can afford to

Debiain 16:59 03 Feb 07

See like i said very novice Pamy lol!

Maybe it is, but I cant afford to buy new for a long long time... so please help.

How do I know what motherboard I have then?

Debs

jack 17:00 03 Feb 07

Combining parts from these two will lead to to some interesting but time consuming problems - but a good learnig curve at what can and cannot be done.
Certainly as you describe the machines - leads me to be believe you likely expertise is somewhat lacking.
I would as suggested go for a new machine,
Keep the original two to experiment with as learning pieces.

jack 17:04 03 Feb 07

All you need is a basic 'Box' You have monitors keyboards mice etc.
Take a look at what click here offer
Here they offer complete machines, motherboard/processor/memory packages which will fit into existing cases and take existing drives.
Here you cave some fun and learn at the same time.

Debiain 17:06 03 Feb 07

Thanks Jack but I cant afford a new one for a long time.

What would be the best thing to do to get better graphics? my son is in his last year but the graphics on this pc is crap I have an old Nvidia but the fan has gone on it so heats up and bombs out the pc, this is one of the main things that I want to sort... the rest can wait.

thanks

Debs

Pamy 17:15 03 Feb 07

You can buy replacement fans, but you would probably nead someone to replace it for you £3 there abouts Most of your computer is pretty basic, I do not think it would be worth spending too much money on it.

Pamy 17:17 03 Feb 07

click here download this program and it will tell you what motherboard you have

Arthur Scrimshaw 17:20 03 Feb 07

That will give us an idea what is possible.

Debiain 17:56 03 Feb 07

Pamy I used Belarc to get the rest of the info...

Operating system XP SP 2
Processor 1.10 gig AMD Duron
Main circuit Board Bus Clock: 66 Megahertz
Bios American Megatrends Inc.
System Model says no details available...

What does surprise me is that is says that I have 4 slots for memory and I can only see 2.

As for money well I can do it bit by bit but I would say 150 tops Arthur.

thanks

Debs

Legolas 17:58 03 Feb 07

Going by the specs you gave us the only thing I would keep would be the 60gb harddrive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017