What is the best way to send music

johnincrete 05:48 AM 26 Nov 12

I have 6 full CD's of original music tracks and I want to send them to a friend in Nigeria. Obviously I can copy the CDs and send them by post but the postal service in Nigeria is very unreliable I'm told. I could attach to a series of emails but it would take several. Is there a way of sending the tracks electronically & easily?

Chronos the 2nd 08:35 AM 26 Nov 12

I use DropBox, have a look at this.

johnincrete 11:40 AM 26 Nov 12

I've installed Dropbox & zipped a folder containing all the music files into the dropbox folder - its nearly 500,000kb. Dropboc is uploading the file - it tells me it will take 17hours at 34.9Kb/sec. I'll leave it running and see what happens! I'm not sure that this is a practical solution.

Chronos the 2nd 11:51 AM 26 Nov 12

5000,000kb is equal to 50GB which is an awful lot of music certainly more than 6 CD's I would have thought.

johnincrete 05:45 AM 27 Nov 12

The folder of mp3 tracks is 484MB. I zipped it to get the dropbox file of 471MB - just a slight reduction but the dropbox instructions said it had to be a single zip file. There are about 100 music files. I left it running so I don't know how long it took eventually. I'll get to the rest tommorrow.

Chronos the 2nd 08:47 AM 27 Nov 12

All you needed to have done was create a folder in your DropBox and copy your tracks into it which should only have taken a few minutes you can then share that folder with anyone you want and they do not need to have DropBox installed .

After a mobo upgrade at the weekend and reinstalling Windows I also reinstalled DropBox and the 2GB contents took less than half an hour to sync so am really puzzled as to your figures.

Woolwell 12:43 PM 27 Nov 12

Dropbox files have to be uploaded to be shared. Depending on your upload speed then 471Mb will take some time.

Chronos the 2nd 13:09 PM 27 Nov 12

2GB contents took less than half an hour to sync

This was to my PC so I am not sure why less than a quarter of that should take so long.

Woolwell 13:18 PM 27 Nov 12

Although my download speed is 10Mb my upload speed is only 1 Mb. Therefore getting files to my pc is fairly quick, uploading to share takes much longer. We don't know what johnincrete's speeds are.

johnincrete 15:20 PM 27 Nov 12

Chronos: I followed the DropBox instructions and copied the zipped file to the DropBox folder. Just as the instructions said, it automatically uploaded the contents.

Woolwell How do I measure speeds?

wee eddie 15:45 PM 27 Nov 12

I know that you have already started but:

One file will be a lot for them to download as well. Would it not have made more sense to have broken it up into several sections.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

HDR video: Everything you need to know

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know