What is the best way onto the net in UK

golfpro 16:34 19 Mar 07

I live in Austria and come to the UK once or twice a year. I would like to buy a lap top to use there, but what is the best way to get onto the internet while I'm there. I only stay for two weeks or so and don't need a lot of space. So any suggestions?
Also I may be looking to buy the lap top in the UK when I am there, I will be staying in the south (Brighton Southampton area) any good places to buy there.

Technotiger 16:51 19 Mar 07

Hi, I would suggest you buy from Novatech click here they are situated between Fareham and Portsmouth. An all-round excellent firm to deal with, good service/products/prices.
Getting onto the net - get a laptop that is wifi enabled, many hotels, garages etc have free wifi hotspots.

Technotiger 16:54 19 Mar 07

ps - you could Google for list of wifi hot-spots stating geographical areas/towns.

anchor 17:15 19 Mar 07

You can accesss the internet from any UK phone line, without registration, using this service:

click here

I am not familiar with wi-fi hot spots in that area, but suspect you won`t find many free ones. You may find that some hotels provide a service, but you have to pay. Contact the hotels to find out.

Technotiger 17:22 19 Mar 07

Hi, there are loads of Free hotspots throughout UK.
A couple of dozen in my local area alone - Portsmouth and district. Just do a Google.

Stuartli 17:53 19 Mar 07
  golfpro 07:20 20 Mar 07

Thanks for the suggestions, I suppose I would have to purchase some sort of wifi card for the hotspots as I do with my mobile phone English sim card, but I see there are several companies offering this service and each seems to have its own area. As I am not staying in the same place for any more than two or three days at a time this could prove difficult. I did think about using Vodafone which seems to operate all over Europe, I'll will have to check on the prices.

Technotiger 07:56 20 Mar 07

Hi, as I said earlier, all you need (if you are going to buy a laptop) is to buy one that is wifi enabled, nothing extra to buy then.

Plus of course, you can use it to get on-line anywhere in the World.

JayDay 07:58 20 Mar 07

Most if not all new laptops come with WiFi enabled.

golfpro 12:16 20 Mar 07

Excuse me for being a bit thick, but are you saying that all the hotspots are FREE to use? But what about software to connect to the server, how does that work then.
Sorry but this is all new to me....

Batch 12:30 20 Mar 07

You may or may not have to pay for hotspots. Sometimes you explictly pay, sometimes you get access if you buy goods or a service (e.g. a cup of coffee in a coffee house that has a hotspot) and some places are free.

Where you have to pay / buy something you will be given an access code (which typically lasts for a defined period - a few hours, a day etc.).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5