What is the best way to backup my PC?

Hi everyone

I work from home & use a PC for all my business activities. Last year I was using a laptop & it crashed which lost me 4 months worth of work! (my fault for not backing it up). Anyway, my PC has started acting weird - it crashed on the weekend as I was shutting it down - now whenever I shut down the PC it auto reboots & I have to shut it down again. I had a MINIdump error message.

I fear that the computer is going to fail on me but I am unsure of the best way to back it up.

Should I buy a recommended software?
Can I somehow use another computer (my laptop) to store a copy of the whole PC?

I really just don't have a clue what is the most efficient & safe way to keep a copy of all my stuff.

Your advice and knowledge would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:15 10 Apr 07

Rather than backup all the OS just back up your documents and anything else that is needed. I would use a 2 or 4Gb pen drive for this (£12 to £24). Then buy a new HD (£30ish, reinstall and buy a copy of acronis true image. When you are up and running buy an external HD (£50ish) and back up, using Acronis, onc e a week. This will mirror your OS and restore the whole thing should take 30 mins. I would still use the pen drive to back up documents daily. just for now use the pen drive to back up docs.

G

wee eddie 10:13 10 Apr 07

Firstly: I'm with GANDALF <|:-)> all the way on this one.

Now, here's the but: Only use the Acronis Full Imaging Back-up when your system is running as it should be.

Forget burning to Disk. But keep the HDD that you use for Periodic Back-ups elsewhere, in a Shed at the bottom of the garden, with a neighbour, at the Bank if your really OTT about Security.

wee eddie 10:13 10 Apr 07

Firstly: I'm with GANDALF <|:-)> all the way on this one.

Now, here's the but: Only use the Acronis Full Imaging Back-up when your system is running as it should be.

Forget burning to Disk. But keep the HDD that you use for Periodic Back-ups elsewhere, in a Shed at the bottom of the garden, with a neighbour, at the Bank if your really OTT about Security.

Thanks guys

I will get hold of acronis software. In the meantime I will copy all relevant files & have a spring clean.

Do I need to get a new internal HD?

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:53 10 Apr 07

The problems do not sound like an internal drive problem but I would get more memory and give the computer the best clean of its' life using Ccleaner click here and regseeker click here. I would also (if you have an XP disk or can borrow one) do a repair install to make sure all the files are OK. Then run Spyware terminator click here and A2 click here to ensure that there are no Trojans etc.

G

wee eddie 11:53 10 Apr 07

Post the Error Message as a separate thread and see what the wizards say.

wee eddie 12:02 10 Apr 07

If you do, read the various threads here about using External Drive cases to rescue old HDDs.

I bought an empty Caddie and stuck the HDD from my old PC in it > Copied its files onto the new PC > Formatted the old HDD and now use it as the Monthly part of my Security Back-up System.

wee eddie 12:04 10 Apr 07

He must be psychic as well as.

How he got that one I don't know

Thanks guys

I will start straight away

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…