What is the best small sized PCI-E graphics card ?

allanon 17:55 23 Nov 07

I have a small PC case and I presently have a 7600GT card. I have previously been advised that the newer 8600GT is a similar size and will run DX10 grahics, although it is arguable whether it will appreciably improve the graphics in games.
Is anyone aware of the Radeon options?, and similarly will there be a noticeable improvements in game graphics?. I don't want to go to the hassle of a new case, motherboard etc.
Can onyone advise on the best small sized grahics card?

citadel 18:01 23 Nov 07

you need an 8800gt to get improvement, new games like crysis are pushing the graphics higher. it is easy to move your motherboard etc into a bigger case.

umbongo(uk) 21:48 23 Nov 07

in answer to your question
the ati brigade are about to bring out the 3800 series of cards to compete with nvidias midrange selection other 38 serie to be released later on in 2008
the 3850,3870
the 3850 will be in competition with the 8600gts and 8800gt320
the 3870 will vie with the nvidia 8800 5i2mb
all were waiting for now is more benchmark results from online testers and reputable online site
hopefully the prices amd have said they will sell them at which is supposed to be markedly lower than their nvidia counter part
also the new ati will be pci_E 2 and dx 10.1
again most shops arnt selling them yet or are in limitebd stock so its wait time same goes for 8800gt 512mb models as these too are nearly non existent on the web at their reported price(some shop are over pricing them at the moment

some links for the new cards with benchmarks

click here

click here

but if your wanting now and arnt ready to wait as citadel says 8800gt 512mb or above will be your best bet to see an improvement as an 8600 is realy just the same card you have but with dx 10
you should always go 2 cards up when buying grafix from any current card to get a marked improvement unless its a specific option your after on a card ie dx10 ,vivo, hd,duel capability

some benchmarks opinions on the 8800gt512mb card
click here

click here

to be certain it fits in the case get a tape measure out and chck how much extra space u have at the end off the card you have
from what i can visalize from the 8800gt pics its about an extra inch in length

allanon 20:35 18 Dec 07

I'm considering passing my old PC to my kids and get a new Computer. Since direct 10 cards appear to be main stream and the quad core CPU's are now available. Is it a good time to get a new computer or is anyone aware of any new major technological advances in the short term, which would mean it's better to wait. I realise that Computers are out of date almost immediately and that technology seems to be progressing at an increasing rate, but your views would be gratefully received. I'm after a gaming machine but with some office use. I want to specs in the new games like Crysis and Supreme Commander

Current PC.Pentium 4 3ghz single core chip and a 7600GT GPU, 2GIG memory

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now