What is the best security for my PC?

beebender 12:14 05 Dec 07

I have used Norton I.S. for several years but recently had an upgrade to my PC and the hard drive was partitioned to take both Vista and XP.

I still have some months of Norton to run but my local shop have installed AVG for XP and Avast for Vista.

I do all my banking and a lot of shopping online and the shop tell me the above are excellent but I am worried as I have no experience of either.

Helpful comments would be greatly appreciated.

MAJ 12:22 05 Dec 07

I bank and shop online, I use AVG and ZoneAlarm (firewall). In the past few years that I have been doing this I have never had a problem.

birdface 13:23 05 Dec 07

Avg-Anti virus on one and Avast on the other is about the best two Freebies that you can get,If you are thinking of paying you can get Nod32 to run on both computers and that it one of the best.Now I take it you have also got good Anti-Spyware and Firewalls already installed.

interzone55 14:04 05 Dec 07

AVG is better than Avast, I would put it on both partitions.

Use Zone Alarm free firewall on XP, but I've had problems with it on Vista, so I just stick to the standard windows firewall, which is better than the XP firewall.

Use Anti-spyware if you want to, but I've not had any for a couple of years and have not seen any problems

wee eddie 14:13 05 Dec 07

I would not like to commit myself on as to whether AVG was better than Avast, although I run AVG on both my PC and Laptop.

However I would tend to think it sensible to have the same AV running on both partitions.

At the back of my mind I am thinking: Why not install it on one partition and get it to scan both partitions but I'm out of my depth there?

wjrt 14:34 05 Dec 07
  beebender 15:29 05 Dec 07

Thanks for the info.

My only firewall is through Windows and my only Spyware is provided by AOL do you think this is acceptable?

interzone55 15:49 05 Dec 07

"At the back of my mind I am thinking: Why not install it on one partition and get it to scan both partitions but I'm out of my depth there?"

This would be fine when running the OS which has the AV installed, but when running the other OS you wouldn't have any active AV

RobCharles1981 15:51 05 Dec 07

"My only firewall is through Windows and my only Spyware is provided by AOL do you think this is acceptable?"

No! :-)

birdface 17:25 05 Dec 07

Windows not that great.Kerio a bit better and free.Sorry I don.t know If Aol Anti-Spyware is any good or not.But plenty of freebies out there.Superantispyware.Spybot and SpywareBlaster will do if you decide to change.I would use all three.

Procrastinus 15:38 06 Dec 07

How about removing one of the Windows programmes and installing a free Linux OS instead - try Ubuntu from Canonical.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac