What best to get rid of

caast©? 17:27 18 Apr 04

Having had problems for about a week now I resorted to the forum for you valued help. Now
My PC now has installed. Zone Alarm Pro, RegMecanic, Pest Patrol, Spybot S&D Regscrub, PopUp Hitman Adware 6.0 and Norton AV (all registered versions)

Do I need them all? and any suggestions on which ones to remove if not so. I know SpybotSD reports conflicts with Pest Patrol, but neither of these report conflicts and do not seem affected my PC. M

jimv7 17:33 18 Apr 04

There is a new version of spybot out, bin norton install avg, spywareblaster and pop-up-stopper, all these are free.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:35 18 Apr 04

Dump spybot and pest patrol, get spywareblaster. Dump popup hitman and get avant browser....IE with a pretty face and ad/pop blockers. If using a firewall I would have gone for a free version as there is no need or obvious advantage in paying for one.

If it were me... Avant....click here, Adaware free (no point in paying)....click here, Spywareblaster.....click here and finally regseeker.....click here to tart up the registry. This is all you should need. (I don't use a firewall but would use Outpost, click here, if I did).

All the above are free/ de nada/ zilch and using them will provide more THAN ENOUGH protection.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:37 18 Apr 04

Oops/ me reddens...forgot to mention AVG click here free version, no earthly reason to pay.

caast©? 17:54 18 Apr 04

Well all very good, and I am not trying to seem ungrateful. But All these programs have at some time been recommeded by users in this forum.

Most with the exception of Norton (Retail Purchase)have been downloaded, paid for and registered to solve problems with Spyware, adware, Trojans and other malicious scripts. I have used Zone Alarm and Norton AV for ages, yet these viruses call them what you will still manage to get through. I don't visit doddgy sites or open attachments or click on popup links.

What you are suggesting is getting rid of all these bought and paid for programs and replacing them with others.

Even though these are free I don't want to start downloading more AV's SD's when I don't know what protection I have already, (Too much I suggest) or if I need more.

jimv7 18:02 18 Apr 04

You asked, I run avg, spybot, spywareblaster, sygate firewall, regscrub xp and pop up stopper and get no problems or conflicts with any of them.

Even GANDALF <|:-)> has advised to go for the free programms, which work just as well if not better.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:05 18 Apr 04

'Do I need them all? and any suggestions on which ones to remove if not so.'...was your question which I answered...sorry you have paid for many of them but ho hum............The ones that I highlighted are all that you will need and dump the rest.

caast©? 18:42 18 Apr 04

I know you have answered my post, but you appear to have misunderstood my reply or perhaps I have not explained myself too well. As I have said I do not want to seem ungrateful. I have had a lot of very good advice from this forum but as you can see I have a lot of programs which do similar things to what you suggest.

It may be very well to install AVG for free but I have Norton with live updates, are you suggesting AVG is better than Norton, and I should get rid of it in favour of AVG, or is this just your personal preference. Again is SpywareBlaster better than Spybot S&D, is regseeker better than registry mechanic.

Again please do not misunderstand my reply I am just looking for advice, on how to keep clean.

If all these programs I have are adequate, and do the things, your suggestions do then do I really need to get rid of them in favour of your recommendations. If they are better then I would be happy to follow your advice, if the ones I have are just as good then I am happy to stick with them. M

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…