WHAT IS THE BEST FREE FIREWALL

Graphicool1 16:23 05 Jan 09

WHAT IS THE BEST FREE FIREWALL for WINXP SP3

RobCharles1981 16:35 05 Jan 09

Read This And don't use caps it looks like your shouting!

click here

Technotiger 16:56 05 Jan 09
  Graphicool1 17:32 05 Jan 09

Sorry about the shouting. In my defence though I'd just been searching for something on the Net and I always use caps.

I was going to try 'COMODO' however they say system requirements are WINXP SP2 I have SP3?

Stuartli 17:35 05 Jan 09

You can certainly use Comodo Firewall Pro (freeware) with SP2 or SP3 - XP SP2 will be the minimum requirement.

I'm very impressed with Comodo after switching from ZoneAlarm some months ago.

Graphicool1 18:19 05 Jan 09

What tests did you run to establish that COMODO was good?

birdface 20:01 05 Jan 09

What tests did you run to establish that COMODO was good.Comodo is rated the best or one of the best firewalls about.

tullie 20:17 05 Jan 09

No need to use caps when searching.

Graphicool1 09:35 06 Jan 09

Since posting this thread and before receiving any answers, I've embarked on trialing the Free version of 'Sygate'. Does anyone have anything to input regarding pluses and/or minus's of this programme. How does this compare with Comodo?

Now that I've installed and had to register it, I need a good reason for moving over to Comodo or anything else.

The only Firewall I've hade to date, has been Windows. But when I recently ran some tests, I found it had more holes than a sieve! However, it had one plus for me and that was, it was unobtrusive. I didn't keep getting aggrevating pop-ups asking me if it was ok or not for various programmes to contact the Net. It would be nice if there were something smart enough to realise that...

Yes - your modem does need to connect to the Net!.
Yes - your email programme does have to send & receive emails!.
Yes - it is ok for Spyware terminator to receive updates
Yes - it is fine for Avast to monitor connections.
Yes - Threatfire too must get updates

Please stop bothering me...
If nothing had to connect to the Net, why would I need a firewall?!

Diodorus Siculus 10:09 06 Jan 09

All firewalls have to learn and the two I've used (Sygate and Comodo) ask for each program that wants to connect has a tickbox to click so that it remembers the answer.

Comodo hasn't asked me anything for many years unless I have installed a new piece of software.

I'm happy with it and use a firewall only to decide which programs on my PC have access to the internet.

birdface 10:13 06 Jan 09

Looks like Norton has taken it over.click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…