what is the best FREE Anti virus software?

jcotton 08:49 01 Aug 05

Hiya all,

As it sasy in the title what free anti virus software is the best?

I did recall AVG was quite good but I cant remember if its the best free one out there

Cheers

Mutant_Llama 08:54 01 Aug 05

I personally use AVG from Grisoft:

click here

Freedownload and updates (for home users) as well as an email scanner. I have been using it for ages and would recommend it to anyone!

Diodorus Siculus 08:58 01 Aug 05

Depends on who you ask...

Freebyte's Guide to Free anti-virus software
click here

My preference is for Avast click here

Stuartli 09:12 01 Aug 05

After Pipex ceased providing Norton free of charge I used AVG for about three years, but switched to Avast not because it's necessarily any better or worse, but because of its automatic updating routine.

I discovered the auto updating when installing Avast for a computer newbie about three months ago and realised it would save some valuable time.

Avast seems very effective so far and I'm impressed.

Rogerfredo 09:13 01 Aug 05

AVG - never let me down and very easy to update virus files (and quick!)

Mutant_Llama 09:15 01 Aug 05

Yep, AVG auto updates now as well, upon booting the PC it checks for updates and installs automatically (which I agree is damned useful!!)

Daibus 09:30 01 Aug 05

I know it has been promoted in the past but what about Nod32 as compared to the ones mentioned?

Stuartli 09:34 01 Aug 05

Actually Avast updates even quicker...:-)

dan11 10:23 01 Aug 05

I have AVG on the desktop and Avast on the laptop. Both work extremely well.

The laptop came with NAV 2005, that is the first thing I wiped off. My personal preference.;-)

Belatucadrus 10:47 01 Aug 05

I changed my main PC to avast! from AVG6 as there simply was no comparison, avast was miles better. I am also running AVG7 free on another PC to comply with the free license terms (1 copy only), it's a great improvement on 6 and in my opinion has reduced the gap considerably. But not closed it, my vote goes to avast, for its better update system, coverage of messaging & P2P, greater configurability and Screen scan facility.

Pesala 11:09 01 Aug 05

I changed to Avast from AVG 7.0 after an update cause serious problems in Windows ME click here

I like the fully automatic update in Avast (an audible notification is the only interruption). Too soon to tell if it is better or worse in other respects.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…