What is best Font to use for OCR scanning

Sethhaniel 13:10 26 Aug 04

Which font should be used to help the Optical Character Recognition program to work to its best advantage.

Times New Roman has a habit of r & i (ri) being mistaken for 'n' and r & n (rn) being mistaken for 'm' etc and in large documents the spell check doesn't always find them out as the words that the errors make are true words.

Using 'textbridge pro'with recommended settings for OCR on XP home ;)

Stuartli 13:46 26 Aug 04

I don't use OCR very much (ABBEYREADER in my case), but I have found that using it to scan a page or pages into Word in its original form and then highlighting and selecting the font required provides higher accuracy.

cga 14:37 26 Aug 04

Many moons ago there was a font called OCR-B. Looing at the current font list in Word it looks as if LUCIDA CONSOLE is very close.

I would certainly recommend a sans serif monospace font of some description.

Sethhaniel 14:41 26 Aug 04

Quarterly magazine - trouble is most items are typed in a fancy font which although it looks pretty makes editing a pain -some fonts ARIAL are plain and usually get 99% recognition - but if there is a type 'font' that I can suggest to the readers/contributers that will help with the task in hand. ;)

woodchip 14:47 26 Aug 04

Fonts that you choose does not affect recognition,,,,, as the OCR works to convert a Image to text not text to text. i.e. You have to scan something with text, so you can use OCR, the Scanned Image is a Image you cannot edit it until you OCR the Image. So Fonts as nothing to do with OCR

Sethhaniel 14:55 26 Aug 04

i'm afraid it does - (quote r & i (ri) being mistaken for 'n' and r & n (rn) being mistaken for 'm' etc) you just have to look at some fonts and realise if you can hardly read them the OCR software will have difficulty - i have been using this type of software for years and the ones I use now are typically 99% acurate - even with newspapers - but with some fancy fonts - give up before you start as it would be quicker to type it in. ;0)

woodchip 15:00 26 Aug 04

The fonts are installed in the Program. but they have no baring on the Recognition other than a Reference. You cannot change these are fixed. I use Textbridge and there is no adjustment other than Scanner resolution

Sethhaniel 15:05 26 Aug 04

Wrong end of Stick ;)

I am receiving typed sheets in fancy fonts which the OCR is having difficulty reading - i want to be able to tell the readers a font to use when they type their contribution so as to allieviate the problem ;)

woodchip 15:05 26 Aug 04

Fonts only have any affect after the Document as gone through the OCR process not before

woodchip 15:10 26 Aug 04

Well you can do that but if you take a Image from a Book how are you going to effect that, It is unchangeable. And if you have any difficulty with the Recognition the you should use the training program in Textbridge so next time you get a doc with the same font it will make a better job of recognising it

woodchip 15:18 26 Aug 04

Something you may not realise is that of the Media that you scan, it can have just as much affect as the fonts that it is trying to OCR. Try this scan some text from a book and OCR it then print the text on your inkjet rescan it and OCR it and see how difficult it is second time. it because of the edge of fonts are not clean. It's like comparing a Inkjet to a Laser for a print out of text

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…