What benefit do you get by adding Memory?

philipson 18:53 12 Jun 07

I have seen a few threads here about memory,just wondering what is the main benefit of an increase?

postie24 18:58 12 Jun 07
  philipson 19:47 12 Jun 07

Thanks,makes for good reading..

postie24 19:53 12 Jun 07

Thats ok,glad it helped.

The Kestrel 20:45 12 Jun 07

The article seems very old. In the section on 'How much memory?' it quotes an advanced professional user getting by with 256MB of RAM though 512MB would be better! I think with todays PCs we are talking about GBs of RAM rather than MBs!

philipson 22:14 12 Jun 07

Thanks for your input..

Totally-braindead 23:22 12 Jun 07

Generally the advantage is a speed boost - programs open faster and you can have more windows open running different programs at the same time, but, isn't there always a but, if your processor is not all that fast then it will create a bit of a bottleneck meaning that although you might have more than enough memory to run 3 or 4 programs at the same time the processor might not be able to cope slowing things down again.

A fast processor would not have this problem. Also there is a point where you will notice no real difference with an upgrade as only really memory intensive programs will show the advantage. By this I mean things like video editing and I am talking about upgrading from the likes of 1 gig of RAM to 2 gig.

Typical XP system with 256mb RAM, upgrade to 512mb and you would notice the difference with everything, quite a boost, go from 512mb to 1 gig and you would notice a speed boost with some things but not with others, go from 1 gig to 2 gig and in general the difference would be there but would be so small you probably would only notice it with memory intensive programs.
Hope that helps.

philipson 23:42 12 Jun 07

Thanks for in depth post,will reply tomorrow as I need sleep..

philipson 20:03 13 Jun 07

Will Dual Channel/Matched Memory make much of a speed difference compared to non Dual Channel/Matched Memory as regards more open windows and running programs?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…