what is a bad block?

paul-197296 11:41 09 Apr 05

In the error log, i am getting a lot of these 'The device,\Device\CdROM0,has a bad block.'
Can anybody please tell me what a bad block is.
Thanks for any help that comes this way, regards Pj.

Diemmess 12:08 09 Apr 05

a google search with "bad block" suggests in one item to be bad sectors.

Normally Format will isolate bad sectors.....If you are getting more and more it suggests to me that your HD may be in trouble. Have you had it (the HD)for a long time?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:14 09 Apr 05

During formatting one might encounter bad spots on the disk, called bad blocks or bad sectors. These are sometimes handled by the drive itself, but even then, if more of them develop, something needs to be done to avoid using those parts of the disk.

CD/DVD

Again bad spots on a CD are refered to as bad blocks can be caused by dust or scratches on the disk. If these areas contain data then the program requiring that data may not run. In the case of CD-RW disks the same applies as to the hard drive.

Maybe a clean of the disk is all that is required.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:14 09 Apr 05

From the device I think this is probably on a CD may be a rewritable he is trying to use like a hard drive with something like INCD?

woodchip 12:22 09 Apr 05

CDR and CDRW are like that, they are not as good as a Hard Drive. Reflected in the price and reliability

paul-197296 14:48 09 Apr 05

Thanks Diemmess, the hard drive is about 3 yrs old.It's just a standard e machine 350. They seem to come up when we play age of empires,( and its not a copy), disk is also in goog condition, but will give it a clean anyway.Thanks for your help.

Diemmess 18:29 09 Apr 05

I'm sorry to emphasise the HD. I missed the CD clue. I am sure Fruit Bat /\0/\ is correct with his posts to you and to me.

woodchip makes a good point too, for important data I would be very wary of a RW disk.

paul-197296 21:18 09 Apr 05

Thanks to every one for there help and effort, to help me.
regards claude.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…