What backup files do I need.

the old man 15:45 02 Jun 06

Sorry if this is going over old ground people but I have done a search to no avail.
Just need a website that will show me what files/folders to include in a backup.
Have got myself a 2GB pen drive and just used MS backup and tried to save all users settings/documents. 2GB no where near enough. Think total was over 5gb.
Obviously need to slim things down.

wallbash 15:58 02 Jun 06

Can only give my ideas

I only back up, files or folders that I have created Backing up (again) any software that is sitting on the shelf is a waste of time!

e.g back up word Docs, but not office/word prog
5g sounds as if you have been mega busy ??

Also I query about backing up to a pen drive
perfer a cd/dvd disc ( checked ) and sitting on the shelf

mattyc_92 16:04 02 Jun 06

I personally backup my WHOLE computer using "Acronis True Image" (click here) onto my other hard-disc
I also burn my "Personal Files" (such as my "Bookmarks" in firefox, My Documents, game saves, etc...) to CD/DVD once a week...

Then, if my acronis backup is corrupt, I simply have to reinstall all my programs, but I will have an up-2-date backup of my personal files to restore.

Jackcoms 16:09 02 Jun 06

I will assume you are using Windows XP.

Absolute basic would be 'My Documents and Settings' or 'Everyone's Documents and Settings' if you have several users on the PC.

That's what I do at least weekly.

the old man 16:14 02 Jun 06

Yes am using XP Home.
As I said earlier, all users is over 5gb. I have 2 hdd's but want to be extra careful and save settings and suchlike to usb drive as well.

Jackcoms 16:30 02 Jun 06

I stick with my original response as to WHAT you need to back up.

In terms of WHERE you back up to, clearly a pen drive has insufficient capacity.

Suggest you Google for 'external hard drive'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…