What is AVG6_DB.DAT file?

Pesala 19:46 23 May 03

I just noticed this large 33Mbyte file in my root directory. If it is the AVG antivirus database it must have accumulated over many updates. Is it vital for the functioning of AVG antivirus?

BBez 19:48 23 May 03

yes it's needed and everytime you update your scanner it adds to the .dat file

Pesala 19:57 23 May 03

Thanks. I won't delete it. Don't want to mess up AVG after downloading all those updates. Must be about time for a new one. 33 Mbytes is a hell of a lot of virus signatures.

Djohn 21:26 23 May 03

in the forum, the general opinion was that it was fine to remove all previous updates, excepting of course the current one that AVG is using. J.

Pesala 21:38 23 May 03

In my C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG6\Update directory there are several BIN files. I presume that you mean I can delete all but the one downloaded on 19th May.

However, the AVG6_DB.DAT file is the C:\ root directory and is huge. Does that contain all the data accumulated from all the BIN files I have ever downloaded. What will happen if I delete that?

Djohn 21:47 23 May 03

Not sure, please wait for conformation on this, as I may have the two files mixed up!

I do know that all previous updates can be deleted, excepting the current one.

One of the forum users brought this question up, and many of us, (myself included) deleted many mg. of update files quite safely, think these are the Bin files, Can't remember for certain though. J.

Djohn 21:52 23 May 03

click here Found the thread. J

leo49 21:54 23 May 03

You can delete all the .bin files except the latest [leaving you with one .bin & the .ctf in the Update folder].

The .dat is a puzzler as mine is only 1.3mb!

Regards

Belatucadrus 21:56 23 May 03

In my update file I keep the AVG update control file AVG6info and the latest AVG update file currently d602vmhf all update files pre 19/5/2003 have been deleted, my Grisoft folder is currently 11Mb in size. Think about it, if you needed 33mb of dat files, the program download from grisoft would be at least that big, but it isn't.

Pesala 15:09 29 May 03

I don't know what it was, and I didn't delete it myself, but when I looked for it to delete it, it had vanished. I have view hidden and system files turned on too. Mysterious, maybe a temporary file created during the scanning process that got left because I did a manual reboot during a virus check. Who knows, but it doesn't seem to have any adverse effects, not being there. AVG still runs and updates correctly.

Switcher 16:00 29 May 03

I have various AVG6DB_X.dat files in my root directory where X = N,F,R etc the latest is dated 28/05/2003 @ 0708 and is slightly over 14MB. Will rename them and see what happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple