What are your views on an all-in-one

diddi.ash 22:31 29 Nov 03

I need a new printer and with my experience have never had a problem with epson, but like the idea of an all-in-one (printer,scanner,photocopier)
Are they as good as having seperates?
Any ideas what is the best model to get?
ie: epson,HP.
Im currently running windows 98.

Jester2K II 22:35 29 Nov 03

Home or office?

As an office tool i think they are OK.

Personally i prefer separates.

All in ones are getting better but all those I've seen (and I've installed quite a few)are "jack of all trades but master of none"

All seem to scan OK but the print quality can be OK to poor...

A good scanner and a good printer are hard to beat.... (especially when the label says "Canon")

diddi.ash 22:39 29 Nov 03

Its just for home, kids printing out homework and photos from our kodak easyshare. which did print out good photos on the epson 480!

Jester2K II 22:43 29 Nov 03

Go to PC World and they often have sample print outs to look at. Take a picture along and see if they'll scan and print it for you.

Nothing is as convincing as seeing it with your own eyes!

However whilst i admit they are space saving and have useful extras such as the ability to scan and print without the PC being ON (as a Youth Football Team Treasurer that WOULD be very useful) i can't even see one beating my separates - YET!

Also if the scanner goes you loose a printer too (and visa versa)

diddi.ash 22:48 29 Nov 03

thanks, i think my scanner may go next anyway as i have had that for a couple of years too.
its very tempting as staples have an HP all in one for £79.99

Dragon Heart 00:26 30 Nov 03

Beware the ink replacement costs. I read that one Lexmark all-in-one had ink cartridges that cost more than the hardware itself !

BeeWee 02:34 30 Nov 03

have just bought the hp 1205 from amazon for &85 (free delivery)and it's fantastic!! i would recommend it very highly to anyone. i did a lot of research first and this model is compact and a good workhorse. i have found a site which sells compatible inks relatively cheaply too if you are interested?

diddi.ash 11:05 30 Nov 03

What about the epson all in one.

pj123 12:09 30 Nov 03

The Epson CX range all look good to me. Good prices for compatible ink from click here as well. The only disadvantage I can see with all-in-ones is "if one part goes wrong - it all goes wrong"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…