What are these Registry Cleaners playing at

xania 16:59 20 Dec 09

Following on from my previous posting click here, and having run the latest version of C Cleaner 3 times so that it was showing no problems at all (but still without removing those web-site details), I then downloaded, and ran a number of alternative cleaners, and to my horror all found various numbers and types of problem. Most worryingly, they all generated mostly different figures for the same and different tests. So what's going on. Most took seconds to complete the scan but one took nearly 30 minutes. Tested were PC Doc Pro (£25 or £40), RegDefense ($29.95), Registry Mechanic 9 (£29.95 for 3 PC's)and Reg Cure (free). I'm sure there are others around, but after this I just gave up in disgust.

Needless to say, none of them were bothered about all that information about wenb sites visited.

Is this just a scam. How do you crack it? What is going on?

Technotiger 17:09 20 Dec 09
  User-1229748 17:11 20 Dec 09

have you been able to uninstall these reg cleaners as pc doc pro and regdefense are known to throw up false errors to get you to buy.the same could probably be said for regcure aswell :o(

User-1229748 17:15 20 Dec 09

just to add take no notice of reg cleaner reviews as they are mostly scam reviews also.you will be amazed at how many of the reviews will lead to regcure :o(

xania 17:17 20 Dec 09

Thanks Technotiger - now there's a surprise. Not yet read it in depth but will later this evening.

smackheadz - Managed to remove all installs with Add/remove software, but no doubt some bits will linger longer. I install all my software into F:\Program Files, so I can simply run the uninstall then check to ensure the install folder is deleted.

User-1229748 17:24 20 Dec 09

lol,excellent,didn't want you to keep trying them out till one installed a nasty.

DieSse 19:38 20 Dec 09

"I install all my software into F:\Program Files, so I can simply run the uninstall then check to ensure the install folder is deleted."

Of course that won't necessarily delete the files they sprasy all round in the Windows sub-folders - or registry entries.

For a far better uninstaller, free Revo is amazingly good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…