What are these files?

BT 09:49 09 Feb 04

My windows folder is constantly accumulating vast numbers of these files which are labelled as .tmp files 0 bytes. I deleted 1300 of them yesterday and already there are about another 100 there this morning

ffca1453_(2DCE1031_236E_4E3D_BEE9_464A1172F4A1)

All the files seem to start with the ff bit and the rest of it is different combinations of letters and numbers. Deleting them doesn't seem to bother anything.

I am using Windows ME

xplogos 11:11 09 Feb 04

Take a look at the following site:

click here

seems that these files are created by office. There's a batch file on the site that should remove them for you automatically.

JamesB

ventanas 11:17 09 Feb 04

They are Find Fast files produced by Office as xplogos says.

You must have Hide protected system files turned off or you wouldn't see them. It's ok to delete, but they will keep coming back until you turn off Find Fast.

BT 09:03 12 Feb 04

I have Hide Protected System Files ticked 'on' in Folder Options but these files are still visible. How do I find and turn off Find Fast?

temp003 10:56 12 Feb 04
  BT 18:12 16 Feb 04

temp003

Thanks for your info but I don't have Find Fast in my Control Panel. The site you directed me to was for Office 2000. I am running Office XP on Windows ME and the site doesn't even mention Office XP

VoG II 18:21 16 Feb 04

In Word, File/File search, click on search options and turn off Fast searching.

BT 08:54 17 Feb 04

VoG
Tried this but Fast Search is not installed. These files are coming up even if I am not using WORD so I think something else is generating them.

temp003 10:46 17 Feb 04

The culprit may be Microsoft's Machine Debug Manager, which involves many Office applications, but is not limited to them.

The application file is called mdm.exe

Check the following.

Use msconfig to see if under the startup tab, there is any reference to the file mdm.exe or Machine Debug Manager. If there is, untick the box. click OK.

Then click Start, Run, type regedit and press Enter.

On the left, expand and navigate to HKEY Local Machine \Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ Current Version \RunServices (check the Run key as well). Check, on the right, whether there is any reference to Machine Debug Manager or mdm.exe. If there is, right click the item on the right, select Delete, confirm deletion.

Check the equivalent keys in HKEY Current User\...\Run and RunServices as well. If you find them, delete them.

If you need to delete any of the registry items, before you do so, highlight the key on the left (such as RunServices) first, at the top left, click Registry, export registry file, and save it as a .reg file as a backup somewhere on your computer you can remember.

Then open Internet Options, Advanced tab, under the section "Browsing", (1) there is an option for "Disable script debugging". Make sure that it is ticked. (2) For the option "Display a notification about every script error", make sure it is UNticked. Click OK.

Restart computer. Then delete all the ff...tmp files. Continue using the computer and see if they reappear. If they do, post back.

Note that if you reinstall Office or use the Office Repair function, it may start again. If so, just repeat the above.

BT 10:19 21 Feb 04

Tried all this but still no joy

temp003 02:40 22 Feb 04

In XP, it is also run as a Service which can be disabled, but since you're using ME, that doesn't apply.

If you have removed all the relevant entries in the registry and in IE (or found none), the last resort is to rename the mdm.exe file.

Bring up the Task Manager and find the running process or file mdm.exe and terminate it.

Then search on your computer for the file mdm.exe. Then rename them all to mdm.old.

Then delete all the tmp files.

Then restart. If some well hidden startup item is supposed to run this file, then on restart, you may get an error message telling you it can't find mdm.exe. Note down the error message, it may help trace the source.

This assumes mdm.exe is the culprit.

If it still doesn't work, no more ideas.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…