what are these files?

freefx 23:20 18 Jan 04

found these files hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sy in my root directory. They are quite large too. 523MB and 786MB respectively. Dont know how they got there and what are they?

Can I remove them from my HDD for good? Notice they are system files.

Any advice please

hugh-265156 23:31 18 Jan 04

pagefile.sys is a part of your hard drive used as virtual memory when you run out of physical memory.

hiberfil.sys i think is the settings that are stored when you use hibernation.

i would not delete any of these.

set you swap file to windows managed size in control panel/system/advanced/performance/settings/advanced if you use xp and then set your windows system files to hidden that way you wont delete any by mistake.

use cleanup to safely delete any temp files etc you wish to get rid of click here

freefx 23:40 18 Jan 04

Thanks huggy

freefx 23:41 18 Jan 04

Thanks

hugh-265156 23:49 18 Jan 04

what i ment to say above was if you whish to change the swap file settings the set to windows managed size.leave it alone if all is well.sorry.

hide your system files start/control panel/tools/folder options/view tick "do not show hidden files and folders"

cleanup works well on standard or basic setting via options menu.use once a week or so to keep everything tidy.

be careful dont use the thorough setting.

The Spires 23:51 18 Jan 04

If you don't use Hibernate you can free up disk space equal to your system memory size. Go 'Control Panel/Power Options/Hibernate Tab' - Untick 'Enable Hibernation'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…