What are signs of over loading the hard disc

gel 22:25 10 Jan 10

Hi
I am adding pictures to my lap top.
The hard disc has a capacity of 71.4GB
I am currently using approx 17GB
What will be the signs that I am overloading the disc
Or is there a max load that I should observe?
Thank you for help
gel

OTT_Buzzard 22:30 10 Jan 10

Well, in theory at least, you can fill a well defragged hard drive to its maximum capacity, but that will need to include the operating syste, page files and any temp files needed to run applications.

However, what you might notice as the drive fills up is that the system slows down. Defragging becomes a neccessity, as does regualr clearance of temp files, breowsing hsitory and any other ways you can save space.

For best performance, don't use more than 50% of the capacity of the drive. If you go over 60gb - 65gb on your hard drive snails may start overtaking you.

OTT_Buzzard 22:30 10 Jan 10

(sorry about typos)

jamesd1981 22:31 10 Jan 10

your limit is only the size of you hard disk, to me empty space is wasted space, so if your only using 17gb of your 70gb drive then you got tons of room for expansion.

gel 22:36 10 Jan 10

Thank you very much for the advice it is most useful.
It seems that I can add a few more pics yet.
I do run Ccleaner and defrag on a regular basis
Cheers
gel

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:02 10 Jan 10

anything less than 15% space left on drive will cause problems, lack of temporary space needed for windows can cause lock ups and crashes.

so you have a fair way to go up to almost 60G

Technotiger 23:04 10 Jan 10

50Gb will hold approximately 100,000 jpg's.

GaT7 23:30 10 Jan 10

A friend had ~5Gb left on his 80Gb laptop drive. It was incredibly slow, so that's another side-effect of running out of space (as OTT_B said above).

From the MyDefrag maker's website click here:

"• Many users start looking for defragmentation/optimization programs when their computer becomes slow. The main reason for a slow computer is a full hard disk. A full hard disk is slow because the distance between files is greater than on a fresh practically empty hard disk. Deleting half the data on a full disk will just about double the speed. The more free disk space, the faster your computer will be....."

The rest is worth a read.

G

gel 06:53 11 Jan 10

The response has been excellent.
The knowledge amongst forum members is amazing
Thank you very much
gel

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…