What are the signs of Graphic card packing up?

STEVE71163 21:06 27 Jul 03

My pc has been crashing with a error message of device driver problem. Could this be my graphics card packing up? About a month ago i noticed the fan was not working and took it to my pc shop and they took the fan off and replaced it with a large heatsink but i am wondering if damage had already been done?

Gaz 25 21:50 27 Jul 03

Try updating the driver.

If no luck try another graphics card.

STEVE71163 22:01 27 Jul 03

Thanks Gaz 25. I have already updated the drivers but what makes me wonder about the card is because i had been running the coral screensaver on my pc which does tend to take it out of the graphics card and i dont know how long the fan had not been working and the fish had started freezing on the screen. But would i get device driver error messages?

carver 22:32 27 Jul 03

What make and model graphics card have you got. I might be mistaken but I don't think a graphics card will survive with just a heat sink and no fan.

STEVE71163 06:53 28 Jul 03

Thanks for replying carver. My graphics card is a geforce4 mx440 and some of them were made with out a fan but i think they had a larger heatsink than mine originally had.

STEVE71163 07:12 28 Jul 03

Last night i turned the aceleration slider on my graphics card down and my pc seems stable now. Does this mean that my card is on its way out?

carver 09:17 28 Jul 03

Silly question, but what games are you trying to play, the reason I'm asking is that for some games, IE 'Unreal Tournament 2003' that graphics card you have is not the best one and to make it stable you have to make do with poorer graphics. Have you got the latest drivers for it?.

STEVE71163 09:56 28 Jul 03

I have just replaced my graphics card to a Radeon 9000 atlantis with 128mb ddr so hopefully fingers crossed this is the end of the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…