what are jumpers used for

the old man 10:49 02 Nov 03

i have a jetway motherboard and in the manual there is reference to jumpers. what are these and what are they used in conjunction with. i also have an athlon xp2000 which runs at 1.2 ghz.
any help gratefully received.
i dont know much about computers but i don't think my computer is running as fast as it should be.

Falkyrn 10:57 02 Nov 03

Many computer parts are intended for use with a variety of component parts. One means of deciding the settings are by the use of "jumpers" which are small connecting pieces used to join together different sets of pins which the computer then interprets as its settings. (a crude definition)

some information on different jumper settings can be found at click here

Joe McG 11:16 02 Nov 03

the old man,
I don't think you're cpu is running slow due to jumpers. I think you'll find that you will have to adjust you're multiplier setting in the bios.

Not 100% sure but i think the setting should be 133 x 12.
Hope this is of help. Joe

the old man 11:21 02 Nov 03

o.k. but how do i do that. i have looked in the bios and seen a setting for the f.s.b. at next boot. settings at the moment is 100. i can go up to 132. where do i find the multiplier settings.

bremner 11:56 02 Nov 03

The setting should be 12.5 and 133 for an Athlon 2000+

What model is the Jetway?

the old man 12:05 02 Nov 03

bremner, it is a jetway v400db. as i said seen fsb settings but don't know about other setting you mention. with enough help am i able to do it myself or should i take it to a shop.

bremner 12:10 02 Nov 03

You should be able to do it yourself. I am just d/l the manual and will come back to you

bremner 12:22 02 Nov 03

Having looked through the manual it makes no reference at all that I can see about the multiplier.

I therefore assume it is automatically detected. If you change the FSB to 133 see if the processor is detected as a 2000+ at 1.67GHz

the old man 13:18 02 Nov 03

still at 1.2ghz after changing in bios and rebooting. the motherboard does have four prongs where the jumper is and the jumper connects the first two pins. i assume this is with the fsb at 100. if the fsb is changed to 133 should the jumper then attach to pins 2 and 3.

bremner 15:49 03 Nov 03

click here and click on the printable pdf file button top right.

If you look at this it then says there is a manual adjustment of the multiplier (CPU Ratio adjustment)

In answer to your e mail (posed above also) yes from the manual it shows pins 2/3 as being 133FSB

the old man 19:24 04 Nov 03

bremner,
thanks for all your help. processor now running at the right speed. your a gent.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…